Shrimplets on the way!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Shrimplets on the way!

Post by JennyPenny »

I have had my shrimp in my tank for about 6 months now, and I have had three females get berried but drop all their eggs. I now have a fourth berried female with a huge clutch, and she seems to be holding them all! It looks like she has between 21-24 eggs. I'm feeling very optimistic about these babies!
It's hard to get a good picture, but she's a little to the left of the middle in this picture.
IMG_20160703_191925.jpg
hardware_failure
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Shrimplets on the way!

Post by hardware_failure »

Congrats! Having your first larva is very exciting. When they are first released as "floaters" they are impossible to miss. Once/if this happens try not to do any changes - no feeding, topping off etc. After about 2 weeks they will be come benthic (walk around on the ground) like the adults and at that point you can do maintenance if needed.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Thanks for the tip! I just came back from a week vacation to find one larvae and five more clinging to their mom. Very exciting! The larvae are adorable.
I topped off the tank right before I left so they should be good for awhile.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

How's that larva doing? Should be a shrimp by now. Any more on the way?
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Mustafa wrote:How's that larva doing? Should be a shrimp by now. Any more on the way?
The first successful mama released 5 larvae that are now shrimplets!!
I just had my second mama release a whopping 29 larvae, all from the same mama! There might be 30, but they are hard to count, and I know there are 29 for sure. She was loaded with eggs, and I know they all came from her. She released then over the course of about four days. I am pretty sure that they hatched and she held them for a while before releasing them. I have a good loupe and was able to see what looked like hatched babies tucked up in her pleopods.
Very cool.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Oh wow...that's a LOT of larvae! Awesome! :)