LED lights, live spirulina

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

toomanyhandles
Egg
Egg

LED lights, live spirulina

Post by toomanyhandles »

Hi all-

I just set up two small tanks- one 1/2 gallon and one gallon. Canning jars with a small hole in the lid, into which I fit a little rubber stopper in which I drilled a small hole for airflow).

Shrimp added today, tanks have been cycling for about 6 weeks, started with new aragonite plus 1/2 cup of live sand I received when I asked craigslist if I could have a scoop from someone local who was setting up a marine tank : ) No need to waste an entire bag for this!

-Right now the jars are getting perfect indirect light in a windowsill, algae is growing, but that will change as the season progresses and the sunlight moves. I'd like to add LED light on a timer. This would also let me move them to other locations in the house.

I have spent some time on Amazon looking for small desk-lamp sized LED lamps, but not seen anything that seems right-sized for this size of habitat.
Does anyone have links to lights that they like?

-I have been keeping a small culture of spirulina growing for about a year- just in a 50mL tissue culture flask. It would be easy to feed a bit of this now and again, and it is alive unlike the dried spirulina powder, so likely a lot better for the water quality / less worries about over feeding.
Does anyone do this? Especially early on when I have some, but not a huge amount of algae growing. I'm not sure how well the spirulina will like the brackish water, I'll test outside of the shrimp habitats first...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Brian.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: LED lights, live spirulina

Post by Mustafa »

Hey Brian!

I think you're actually the *first* person in this forum who feeds live spirulina to his shrimp. :) It may work if you keep the feedings sporadic and the nutrient load low. Otherwise I can see how with enough light the Spirulina may actually decide to become a culture in your shrimp tank, basically turning it into a green water tank. ;)

Can't help you with the LED light really...at this point all my "desk top" ornamental tanks get indirect sunlight/daylight. And there are offspring in all of them.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

definitely going to follow this! cant wait to see what happens. good luck :D
toomanyhandles
Egg
Egg

Post by toomanyhandles »

So I did a test run, putting some live spirulina culture in 50% instant ocean.

It seems to be growing : ) so unless I had a gazillion filter feeders and shrimp, I would end up with pea soup.
So I won't try feeding live spirulina.

If you want to grow your own and freeze it (if that kills it 100%, I haven't tested) you can get $15 starter cultures from:
http://www.algaeresearchsupply.com
https://algaeresearchsupply.com/collect ... spiurulina

For the LED lights:

I looked at a few things. A goal was that they not be too big, and have a actual physical power switch so I could put them on a timer if I wanted to go that way.
I am trying this out:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010H2WSLE/

$11, has separate switchable blue and white LEDs, so at night you can leave the blue on for the plants but give the shrimp some dark.
I like it so far.

Just about 4 weeks in, first molts are happening!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ah, yes you don't want pea soup. :) But interesting links for anyone who for whatever reason wants to grow spirulina.