I have eggs !

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Aloha919
Larva
Larva

I have eggs !

Post by Aloha919 »

I just wanted to share my ghost shrimp is full of eggs ....
This is my heavily planted tank with ramshorn snails and ghost shrimp...

And believe it or not, I found another berried shrimp in my betta tank. My betta tank is an aquaponic herb garden. I have isolated mommy shrimp in the tank, she has her own private little condo hopefully the babies will make it :D
Once my Betta tanks mommy shrimp's eggs move down her legs I'll isolate her too..

I'm open to any ideas and/or advice seeing how I've never done this before ...
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5742.JPG
IMG_5740.JPG
IMG_5739.JPG
IMG_5738.JPG
IMG_5731.JPG
IMG_5727.JPG
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: I have eggs !

Post by Stalker »

What king of ghost shrimp is it?
Aloha919
Larva
Larva

Post by Aloha919 »

I don't know when I bought them from the pet store they were just named ghost or feeder shrimp ... I have another question the eggs are black, everyplace I've looked online shows eggs that are green and then once they're ready to hatch they are clear ... what's going on with my shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those are just Neocaridina davidi...i.e. the wild variety of the red cherry shrimp. They catch them from the rivers in Hawaii and sell them as "ghost shrimp."

And the eggs on your shrimp in the picture look green to me. I don't see anything wrong there.
Aloha919
Larva
Larva

Post by Aloha919 »

So, my babies have survived they are doing great, but now I have about four berried shrimp in the main tank...I have added lots more anacharis for them to hide since my mommy's are at different stages in their pregnancies if you can call them that ..So I decided not to take them out well, I've left them alone and the babies are thriving .....they've been hiding and doing just fine :D
I managed to get a couple shots
They are somewhat easy to watch in person, but hard to capture on film.

When my original babies are large enough I'll take them out of the isolation tank and put them back in the main one I'm afraid to move them now they're so small
Attachments
This is my "nursery" tank, no filter  i've seen only 2 to 3 babies.  I hope they are hiding, I watched about five or six hatch
This is my "nursery" tank, no filter i've seen only 2 to 3 babies. I hope they are hiding, I watched about five or six hatch
Main tank .... babies are fine
Main tank .... babies are fine
IMG_6071.JPG
IMG_6069.JPG
This little guys actually upside down feeding on a bit of food ....
This little guys actually upside down feeding on a bit of food ....
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! It's always exciting to discover babies. :)
PedWood
Egg
Egg

Post by PedWood »

Exciting stuff!