Sick crayfish

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

jsnitchler
Egg
Egg

Sick crayfish

Post by jsnitchler »

I got a crayfish 2 days ago, now she is laying on her back not moving. Occasionally she will sway her legs. I have no idea what's wrong, I had my water tested before I put her in the tank and the guys at the pet store said it was the right balance, I have a heater set to 80 degrees F, and I have a filter. She was totally fine, crawling around like crazy, really active, even attacked the fish I got her with, a gourami. I already checked he wasn't poisonous. It's been about 8 hours since she's seriously moved. Immediately after she grabbed the fish, she slowed down and rolled on her side. She violently shook a couple separate instances. Now I'm worried she might be dying. She crawled from one side of the tank to the other while I was sleeping, but is now on her back not moving at all except swaying her legs. She's not even reacting when the fish is near her. I changed out about a third of the water and added tap water conditioner which seemed to help. She was moving her legs a ton more right after I added the new water. Please help!!!! I JUST got her!!!!
I have been researching this all night. The closest thing I have found that sounds like this is that she is molting or dying. I'm not sure though because I haven't found anything about shaking behavior.

UPDATE
She's moving around a lot more and is upright now, but her movements are awkward and her tail is VERY curled up. She seems to be off-balance; will walk leaning one way or the other occasionally tipping over.

Lying on her back again with legs waving.
pcboi
Egg
Egg

Re: Sick crayfish

Post by pcboi »

In my experience it's dying or molting or both. so many variables like water quality, injury from fights, terminal molt (genetic)
usually if a moult lasts more than an hour its going to die regardless, once it's already broken it's head shell and nothing else, its a gonner
i even "helped" one that had its arms stuck and the whole body was already out, died too. stress while molting can kill crayfish, it's best to leave nature take its course in my experience. i only have experience with red claws btw, but i have over 100 semi-adults but now around 40 left and have had them since 2 weeks old