I've got babies

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Aloha919
Larva
Larva

I've got babies

Post by Aloha919 »

Everything must be good in my little community, today I noticed little babies floating around the tank :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
sparrowhawk
Larva
Larva

Re: I've got babies

Post by sparrowhawk »

Congratulations! It's so gratifying to watch the babies and to get the ultimate feedback that your habitat is set up correctly.
Aloha919
Larva
Larva

Post by Aloha919 »

Thanks, a couple questions...
Are the babies supposed to float at the top, or basically anywhere in the tank ?
And question number two, will they get caught in the hair algae ? I removed some in the past but it grows back so fast ..
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Doing a good job. Happy to see larvae. They basically go everywhere. I believe they are attracted to light. At night I have used a flashlight in a corner of the tank and it seemed to attract them. They may get stuck in the string algae but be careful removing it as you wouldn't want to throw out shrimp with the algae.

KenP
Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cakelake »

What do the babies look like? All I can find in your pictures is the adults...I probably wouldn't even see the babies if I had any in my tank!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Cakelake wrote:What do the babies look like? All I can find in your pictures is the adults...I probably wouldn't even see the babies if I had any in my tank!
You'd recognize the larvae pretty instantly as they constantly float, semi-vertically, and have a different body shape from the metamorphosed shrimp (large eyes if you look close as well).

You can see a video with them here, starting about a minute in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y3Wz1KeddQ
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

May we have an update? How are the children???
Aloha919
Larva
Larva

Post by Aloha919 »

:D FINE ..... they have really grown
Aloha919
Larva
Larva

Post by Aloha919 »

Here are some pics, I have over 100 in the tank so it's hard to tell who's new, but the tank is still healthy ...
Attachments
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! That's a *very* green tank. :-D How often and how much do you feed?