Ecosphere Empathy

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Ecosphere Empathy

Post by MrsT »

Sasquatch wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:31 pm Sad news my friends. I seem to have lost most of my shrimp over the last few months. I can only count 6 shrimp and 2 snails left in the tank. I don’t know how I lost the rest of the shrimp. I never saw any in distress or any bodies. The tank has been covered and I haven’t been feeding.

Last weekend I moved into a new house and the survivors seem to be more active than at the last house so that’s giving me hope. They are swimming more and the snails are crawling on the tank walls now. I know they are getting more sunlight since the move but I am confused how the rest died.
So sorry for your lost :(
If you ever going to purchase from Mustafa then probably you can request for addition tank water from him. This way its easy to set it up instantly without having to worry anything.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Did the rest of your shrimp survive?
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Mustafa wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:03 pm Did the rest of your shrimp survive?
Yes I count 7 or 8 shrimp and have seen 2 snails simultaneously. I still haven’t added any food since there is plenty of visible algae. Actually the algae is kinda taking over. Still no berried females.

My wife wanted to get some more shrimp but I’m afraid of adding more critters to this tank since I don’t know what killed off so many of them...
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

A6689682-9ED8-4FE9-A8A6-99A7784C3AA9.jpeg
In need of advice from you supershrimp experts. Above is the tank now. There is quite a bit more algae and the macroalgae has definitely grown some.

Since shrimp have been in the tank so long and there hasn’t been a single berried female (not to mention whatever killed most of them some months back), I am wondering if I should start cycling a new tank to move them to? Or should I just stick it out?

I heard some tanks do well and some don’t is why I’m asking.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

It looks like that shrimp in the front is saddled. I'd wait it out.
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Super Jess wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:37 pm It looks like that shrimp in the front is saddled. I'd wait it out.
Right you are! After much stressing on my part I came home to a berried female!!! My first ever! Only took me several years :wink:

27D07605-9846-4A2D-AEA0-880A39C78BD6.jpeg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Hooray! Congrats!!! Nice to see a little good news in the midst of so much uncertainty.
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

The last berried female had about 10 eggs make it! Better yet, I see two more are berried!
0DCE1BF7-0C98-45BB-AC57-2D97F4F1B8B1.jpeg
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

https://i.imgur.com/NYvDlw7.jpg

UPDATE
3 berried females so far this summer. For some reason only 2 of my 10 snails survived so I ordered 10 more and some orange supershrimp! Looks like the existing snails are having trouble keeping the algae down in the substrate. You can see a couple floaters near the top.