Orange Supershrimp breeding project -- finally!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Orange Supershrimp breeding project -- finally!

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks Keystone, I'm doing my best given the imperfect circumstances. :)

In any case, the larvae finally became free swimming on Sunday. And they are, as expected, orange! Here are some pics. In the third picture you can actually see some tiny eyes. Sorry for the low quality of the pictures, but the container they are in is very small and I never clean the glass (hence all the tiny algae growth obscuring the pictures).

005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

They seem pretty good quality pictures to me! About how many larvae are there?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I counted about 7...maybe 8. I think there were more than 10 eggs at some point though, so there may be more larvae that are not quite as visible. It's actually very hard to see them in this little tank. But even with 7 or 8 offspring for now...that's a good start. :) Hopefully i'll get close to or break 100 by the end of this year. Then I can start another tank.
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Those are great photos! As always please keep updating! Once this starts I bet there will be no end to the varieties.
AndyH
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by AndyH »

Very excited to see the progress and results of this project. Been looking forward to you doing some selective breeding ever since you posted the pictures of the clear one you found a year or two ago. And didn't you mention a yellow/pink one back then too? Anyway, good luck and great pictures so far :smt004
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

AndyH wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:03 pm Very excited to see the progress and results of this project. Been looking forward to you doing some selective breeding ever since you posted the pictures of the clear one you found a year or two ago. And didn't you mention a yellow/pink one back then too? Anyway, good luck and great pictures so far :smt004
More updates to come later today (pictures). The "yellow" ones are these guys. In the beginning it was hard for me to tell if they're more orange or yellow, but now I think they're more orange. There are some pinkish shrimp in my tanks, but I'm not sure if they are just low intensity red ones. I do have another tank where I separated out some white (with brown eggs)/weak orange shrimp to see if they are just low intensity versions of the orange ones or something completely different. Once they start breeding I'll know more. Another project I may start soon is to select out the shrimp that stay intense red no matter what. As we all know Supershrimp tend to lose coloration when their tank is disturbed or when shipped. I noticed that some shrimp in every tank stay intensely red despite disturbances. Time to find out if that's genetic. :)

I haven't been able to find the white shrimp with the green eggs yet, but I'll continue looking.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Any updates on the orange shrimp? Assuming they stayed orange and survived it'd be cool to see what they look like now.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes! Lots of updates! Not only did they survive, but they continued reproducing and even the offspring are reproducing now! :) So, it's clear now that they breed true. None of the shrimp are red. I also established a second tank with shrimp that are a slightly different type of orange/pinkish. They are from a different tank and also breed true. I'll have more pictures soon...but I'd say I have 30-40 shrimp in each tank now with more larvae on the way. At this rate I should be able to offer them next year although they won't be cheap due to the limited numbers.

Still haven't found any white ones with the green eggs, but I'll keep looking (wasn't really looking all that intensively either).
GadgetGirlM
Egg
Egg

Post by GadgetGirlM »

Are there this many color varieties in nature? Or do they all stay mostly red?
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Post by Aennedry »

So glad to see all your breeding projects! The oranges are lovely, and the babies are showing really good color. Can we see some pics of the second/third gen adults? Can't wait until the white and yellow tanks start. The white you showed years ago was lovely and I would love to see what kind of color intensity you can get on the yellows.
=^._.^=
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

GadgetGirlM wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 pm Are there this many color varieties in nature? Or do they all stay mostly red?
In nature they are all red. Obviously other color mutations will occur over time, but they don't establish themselves as populations anywhere. There must be some natural selection mechanism selecting out for red shrimp.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Aennedry wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:03 pm So glad to see all your breeding projects! The oranges are lovely, and the babies are showing really good color. Can we see some pics of the second/third gen adults? Can't wait until the white and yellow tanks start. The white you showed years ago was lovely and I would love to see what kind of color intensity you can get on the yellows.
=^._.^=
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find true white ones with bluish eggs when I looked for them several months ago. But I'll continue looking...i'm sure they are in there somewhere.

As for the yellow/orange shrimp...those are the same, but I have two independent populations from two different tanks that have differ in coloration. I haven't posted any pics of the second population, but I will at some point. And more pics will follow here also...things are always very busy, and unfortunately I can't post here as much as I would like to.
The Beach
Egg
Egg

Post by The Beach »

I have pure white shrimp in my tank. Is that the color you are saying? They tend to come out in the evening. Also I have some nearly black shrimp in my tank. At first I had one put now I have several. I took a picture of one who was sitting still for a moment.
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Post by Aennedry »

Black sound interesting. I just have the various shades of red in mine. The whites in question have green eggs, which make them stand out as the red (and the orange as we see) have the darker eggs.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The Beach wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 am I have pure white shrimp in my tank. Is that the color you are saying? They tend to come out in the evening. Also I have some nearly black shrimp in my tank. At first I had one put now I have several. I took a picture of one who was sitting still for a moment.
Lot of people report "white" shrimp, but usually they are just red shrimp that have lost coloration. I'm talking about colorless shrimp with green eggs as show on a picture in their own thread. As for black shrimp....I highly doubt it. But go ahead and start a new thread so you can post the pictures of your shrimp.