Orange Supershrimp breeding project -- finally!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Re: Orange Supershrimp breeding project -- finally!

Post by ThisGuy »

Cool! I have a black spotted ‟cherry‟ shrimp dunno what that truly is though...
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Post by Aennedry »

Hello. It has been a while since there has been an update, how is the color morph breeding project going? Will orange be up for sale next year? Did you find any of the white shrimp?
=^._.^=
Arnold
Larva
Larva

Post by Arnold »

Mustafa wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:03 pm Lot of people report "white" shrimp, but usually they are just red shrimp that have lost coloration. I'm talking about colorless shrimp with green eggs as show on a picture in their own thread. As for black shrimp....I highly doubt it. But go ahead and start a new thread so you can post the pictures of your shrimp.
I also have a white shrimp with a green or greenish blue saddle; the only of my 13 opae ula the rest are pretty much normal, it will be very interesting when she have eggs :o
Dylan
Larva
Larva

Post by Dylan »

Mustafa those are great pictures! Try as I might - I can't get good images of the tiny newborn shrimp. Do use use a macro lens?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Dylan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm Mustafa those are great pictures! Try as I might - I can't get good images of the tiny newborn shrimp. Do use use a macro lens?
Thanks Dylan! Yes, I use a Canon DSLR with a macro lens.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Aennedry wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:49 pm Hello. It has been a while since there has been an update, how is the color morph breeding project going? Will orange be up for sale next year? Did you find any of the white shrimp?
=^._.^=
The project is going well, even though I don't quite have the numbers needed to start selling them yet. Given that I started out with only three shrimp with this color, that's not a big surprise. Also, they were in only a one gallon tank until about a month or so ago. In any case, they are now in a 20 gallon tank and reproducing as we speak. There are 80-100 adults and babies in the tank, I'm guessing that I'll be able to offer them by mid next year assuming I'll have about a 1000 of them and they continue reproducing at a steady rate. You'd think if I turned 3 shrimp into almost 100 in such a short amount of time, I'd be able to turn almost 100 into 1000 by mid next year. But I'll keep everyone updated. :) I'll also post a few more pictures of them soon.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Arnold wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:06 am
Mustafa wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:03 pm Lot of people report "white" shrimp, but usually they are just red shrimp that have lost coloration. I'm talking about colorless shrimp with green eggs as show on a picture in their own thread. As for black shrimp....I highly doubt it. But go ahead and start a new thread so you can post the pictures of your shrimp.
I also have a white shrimp with a green or greenish blue saddle; the only of my 13 opae ula the rest are pretty much normal, it will be very interesting when she have eggs :o
Can you take a picture of this shrimp and post it in its own thread in the forum?
lifeofalez
Egg
Egg

Post by lifeofalez »

just thought this was soo cool and wondering how it was going!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's going great! I have two varieties of orange/yellow shrimp. One tank must now have 200+ shrimp in it so I may actually start offering them in limited quantities in the next few weeks. This variety is not as intensely colored as they grow up, but once they they become bigger, and especially the carrying females, they really pop by becoming a very dark orange with an even darker head area. Really awesome shrimp.

The second variety has growing numbers, but still not ready to be sold. This variety has good coloration, going towards more yellow orange. Even small shrimp show the yellow-orange. The adults have a more neon-yellow-orange coloration as compared to the first variety. I'll have to write an article with pictures comparing the two. To the untrained eye, they may look very similar but they are from two different tanks and hence are two different mutations.
lifeofalez
Egg
Egg

Post by lifeofalez »

Mustafa wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:09 pm It's going great! I have two varieties of orange/yellow shrimp. One tank must now have 200+ shrimp in it so I may actually start offering them in limited quantities in the next few weeks. This variety is not as intensely colored as they grow up, but once they they become bigger, and especially the carrying females, they really pop by becoming a very dark orange with an even darker head area. Really awesome shrimp.

The second variety has growing numbers, but still not ready to be sold. This variety has good coloration, going towards more yellow orange. Even small shrimp show the yellow-orange. The adults have a more neon-yellow-orange coloration as compared to the first variety. I'll have to write an article with pictures comparing the two. To the untrained eye, they may look very similar but they are from two different tanks and hence are two different mutations.
I actually just submitted a Contact Form Inquiry to see if there was any way I could get some with the mutations in the order I placed yesterday. If I am too late I understand but I just saw you replied about how it was going. That seems soo exciting I cant wait to see pictures of them all!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately, I can't just sell these shrimp for the same price as the normal colored ones due to the fact that supply is so limited. My tanks have the only true-breeding populations of these shrimp in the world. And their numbers right now are at most about 300-400. If I sold them for the same price as the normal ones they would be gone in about 2 weeks. I hope you understand. They'll be available soon, but they won't be cheap.
lifeofalez
Egg
Egg

Post by lifeofalez »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:14 pm Unfortunately, I can't just sell these shrimp for the same price as the normal colored ones due to the fact that supply is so limited. My tanks have the only true-breeding populations of these shrimp in the world. And their numbers right now are at most about 300-400. If I sold them for the same price as the normal ones they would be gone in about 2 weeks. I hope you understand. They'll be available soon, but they won't be cheap.
totally understand that! maybe in a year or two i will be able to afford them when i can set up another tank lol.
abc
Larva
Larva

Post by abc »

All the photos are from 2017. When will you post 2019 photos of your orange and yellow shrimp? Would love to see how they look now after breeding them for 2+ years(?) 8)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

It's going to be fascinating to see what becomes of this project once the shrimp become available for sale. I really hope for the sake of wild shrimp that it will inspire more professional breeders to get involved in producing them. "Designer opae ula" may well be a thing in the foreseeable future.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

abc wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm All the photos are from 2017. When will you post 2019 photos of your orange and yellow shrimp? Would love to see how they look now after breeding them for 2+ years(?) 8)
Here is a bad video of one of the tanks that I took with my phone camera and no additional lights. This video is from today, so brand new. I also cleaned the glass from the outside (but unfortunately not from the inside, there is a lot of algae growth that blurs the picture and blunts the colors), so the shrimp lost quite a bit of coloration due to being disturbed:

https://youtu.be/mm_L49V4Wsg

There are a lot of very young and not colored out juveniles in the pics. You'll see some large females with eggs once in a while, so you can compare their size to the size of the majority of the shrimp that are still juveniles. You'll also see some "white" shrimp in there. I'm not sure if they are a different mutation or just temporarily colorless orange shrimp. I'm going to separate them to see if they breed true.

I'll try to take better pictures and videos in the future. :)