Orange Supershrimp breeding project -- finally!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

abc
Larva
Larva

Re: Orange Supershrimp breeding project -- finally!

Post by abc »

Nice video! Just saw these! Some of them look yellow-ish orange but definitely a different shade than red
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately, that video clip is terrible and showing mostly young, not colored out shrimp (even though some of them have eggs). I'll have to use a high quality video camera with zoom instead of my phone to take a good clip of them. I'll post a better video in the future. In real life these shrimp can be very intensely orange colored, like some of the pics earlier in this thread show.
jacklmoore
Egg
Egg

Post by jacklmoore »

Hi everyone, haven't visited in a long time.

I just wanted to pop in and share a photo of some of the yellow opae ula from my own tanks. I purchased from petshrimp maybe 8 or so years ago and around 5 years in the yellow trait showed up in my much expanded population. Just one at first, but over time a few more appeared and I moved them into their own tank with some red females in hopes that trait be expressed more as the population grew. I haven't put the diligence into isolation and breeding but I guess I have around ~50 or so now.
IMG_20200425_183517.jpg
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

jacklmoore wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:43 pm Hi everyone, haven't visited in a long time.

I just wanted to pop in and share a photo of some of the yellow opae ula from my own tanks. I purchased from petshrimp maybe 8 or so years ago and around 5 years in the yellow trait showed up in my much expanded population. Just one at first, but over time a few more appeared and I moved them into their own tank with some red females in hopes that trait be expressed more as the population grew. I haven't put the diligence into isolation and breeding but I guess I have around ~50 or so now.

IMG_20200425_183517.jpg
Impressive.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jacklmoore wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:43 pm Hi everyone, haven't visited in a long time.

IMG_20200425_183517.jpg
Awesome! :D And thanks fr the update on your shrimp! Yes, a lot of my yellow/orange gene pool went out to customers over the years randomly (the shrimp mostly look pale when I catch them, can't tell the difference). You're one of the lucky ones! It would be great if you could share pictures of their tank with us in the future.
sabbylina
Larva
Larva

Post by sabbylina »

Are there any updates on the various mutations?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The orange and yellow mutations (yes, there are two different mutations) are doing well and there are a few thousand of each now. But, I am working on getting them to breed pure. There are still some shrimp in one of the tanks that seem to have the occasional red offspring. I may make these shrimp available soon though. It's been a long wait after all...
witchez
Egg
Egg

Post by witchez »

Mustafa - got any estimate date on the release of those mutation one for sale?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

In a few days to weeks. They won't be cheap, though, due to how few there are in existence currently.
KiwiCordell
Larva
Larva

Post by KiwiCordell »

I was just wondering the same thing! If & when they would be available.
Just super curious.
dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Post by dherrington1 »

Mustafa I believe you have answered one of my most pressing questions. I have several of my shrimp that look like your last picture, dark up in what I would call the main body/spinal area. If what I'm understanding is correct, this means that they are pregnant females making the eggs before they drop. How long does it take to go from this stage to showing berries? Also, those orangies are freaking awesome!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

dherrington1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:24 am Mustafa I believe you have answered one of my most pressing questions. I have several of my shrimp that look like your last picture, dark up in what I would call the main body/spinal area. If what I'm understanding is correct, this means that they are pregnant females making the eggs before they drop. How long does it take to go from this stage to showing berries? Also, those orangies are freaking awesome!
Oh, it's hard to say when the females become berried. It could take days, weeks, or months, even if the patch behind their head is really large. I guess it depends on when they feel like molting, as that is the only time they can become berried.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Mustafa wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:32 pm In a few days to weeks. They won't be cheap, though, due to how few there are in existence currently.
Ok, I'll have to correct myself obviously. It's been taking longer than I thought, but they will be available soon. I just wanted to put up information about the two separate lines of orange/yellow shrimp and also set up a few more tanks for them before offering them for sale. Didn't get around to taking better pictures and video either. The tanks are set up, some pictures are taken, just need to update the website and take a few videos.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

I also have a friend that's very interested in them.
Last edited by Rosiepink89 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

I'm super interested in some look forward to seeing more about them.