When to add more super shrimp & how many

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Linda's supershrimp
Egg
Egg

When to add more super shrimp & how many

Post by Linda's supershrimp »

14991994175761524192036.jpg
I would like to add to my shrimp. I have a 2.7 gallon tank with 9 shrimp. How many more can I add without hurting the bioload? Also, my tank keeps developing little bubbles. Is this normal? I have lots of algae for more shrimp to munch.
Keystone
Larva
Larva

Re: When to add more super shrimp & how many

Post by Keystone »

Are those live plants in your tank?
Linda's supershrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Linda's supershrimp »

I have a green plastic plant for decoration and to give more surface area for the algae. (My cherry shrimp seem to like the artificial plants so I thought I'd give it to my super shrimp, too.) I also have 2 small live java ferns with a few leaves but I don't think you can see it. If you have a lower salinity, it can survive but doesn't thrive. It did start to grow but then the algae load became too much of a cover for it. It's still green after 3 months but not doing as well as the ones in my fresh water tank.
AnotherKevin
Larva
Larva

Post by AnotherKevin »

I think the air bubbles are probably oxygen produced by algae.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You can add 10 to 20 more, but then I'd just let the population grow organically. I'd also recommend taking the java fern out. Many have tried (against all advice) within the last 13 years this site has been online and not a single person that was able to keep *any* allegedly "brackish tolerant" freshwater plants alive.