suitable tankmtes for the Opae Ula?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Friendly
Egg
Egg

suitable tankmtes for the Opae Ula?

Post by Friendly »

I'm thinking of starting up a tank for some Opae Ula at work, but would like some tank mates besides snails.

are there any fish suitable to pair up in this brackish water if a bit of care is taken to ensure water quality for the fish?

debating whether I use my Spec V, or an Evo V or maybe a 2 gallon cookie jar.

thank you! :D
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: suitable tankmtes for the Opae Ula?

Post by Varanus »

I can only imagine how tiny the fish you get would need to be for them not to eat the adult shrimp, let alone babies. Getting a herbivorous fish could solve that problem, but not sure if there are any strictly herbivorous brackish water fish on the market, and regardless I assume any fish you got would have appetites that would make them pretty much impossible to maintain in the sparse setups that super shrimp thrive in. Then there is the higher oxygen requirement the fish are likely to have. All in all it seems unlikely to work.

Basically a lack of tankmates is perhaps the only downside to the supershrimp. Some people have had some success with including a small hermit crab or two (typically in quite mature tanks), but other than them and snails I am not aware of anyone keeping anything else with the shrimp.
Friendly
Egg
Egg

Post by Friendly »

well, since posting this, I've read that there are several small gobies that like brackish water.

I'll just have to see if any of them are vegetarians. :twisted:
Friendly
Egg
Egg

Post by Friendly »

another question. can these guys survive in high quality water?

seems that they might be able to be paired with a goby of sorts. there's an article here on goby's that are nano and don't mind brackish water:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/arti ... rticle.htm
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

I don't think a Goby (or any fish) is a good mix for these shrimp. Even if they didn't eat the shrimp, they'd require more oxygen and filtration than the shrimp do, which might stress the shrimp. Other factors: Fish can pick on shrimp even if they don't eat them outright... Nipping at their attenae or forcing them to hide, for example.

If I wanted to keep the shrimp, I wouldn't try it. If I wanted to convert to a Goby tank and I didn't mind shrimp getting eaten, then I would go for it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, just don't get any fish...especially no gobies. You'll regret it almost as much as the shrimp that will wind up dead (for the reasons described above).
Forestshrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Forestshrimp »

I have a ghost shrimp in my marine aquarium. I’m sure you could keep one of those with them. I saw a video we’re someone had a mussel in their Opae Ula tank. Alphas might also work.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I wouldn't trust a Ghost shrimp not to attack floaters. They are voracious eaters that eat anything. I'm pretty sure Alphas would do the same thing.
Forestshrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Forestshrimp »

Cool! You saved me from that mistake. I’ve never kept Opae Ula. Those were just a few animals I knew could live in the same conditions :-)
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

I was able to keep a dwarf blue leg hermit crab with my shrimp for several years, but I fear I never quite fed him enough because he was probably supposed to be fed every other day or so and I would feed weekly or biweekly to not over feed the shrimp. When I did drop in a pellet he would go nuts for it. It still haunts my conscience that I probably slowly starved the little guy.

If I get another one I’m going to spot feed just the hermit (maybe two) with long tweezers. Besides the feeding these tiny hermits seem to do well in brackish down to .010 SG.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

What about Amano shrimp? I have a few in my 10 gallon with my Opae Ula.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Vorteil wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:45 am What about Amano shrimp? I have a few in my 10 gallon with my Opae Ula.
Tell us more, please.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Sorry for the late reply. I thought I had taken some pics for the Amano shrimps in my tank but maybe not. Here's a video of them in one of my 10 gallons. I think while I was scooping them out on a top top the amanos crawled out of the net and fell into the bottom tank. Just happened to notice a couple in the tank. It's been probably 6 weeks now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shrimptank/com ... kish_tank/
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Vorteil wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 pm Sorry for the late reply. I thought I had taken some pics for the Amano shrimps in my tank but maybe not. Here's a video of them in one of my 10 gallons. I think while I was scooping them out on a top top the amanos crawled out of the net and fell into the bottom tank. Just happened to notice a couple in the tank. It's been probably 6 weeks now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shrimptank/com ... kish_tank/
Thanks for the vid.
entity107
Egg
Egg

Post by entity107 »

possibly guppies I'm new to super shrimp so I'm not 100% sure if its a good idea