new crayfish forum and some suggestions

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Dolfan
Egg
Egg

new crayfish forum and some suggestions

Post by Dolfan »

I once had a crayfish a few months back. I figured it would help clean my fish tank similar to shrimp, just on a larger scale, in theory. It only lasted a few days, until it was eaten by the oscar in the tank. I thought it would survive since there is ample cover space and since they are sort of quick. They seem pretty cool, especially if they are easy to breed. I wanted to help fill up this new forum a bit and I also wanted to commend Mustafa on a good job with this website. It has a lot of helpful info on shrimp stuff. It has been somewhat hard to find much info or ppl talking about shrimp much on any other aquaria forums. This site is great. Currently I only have a few ghost shrimp in 2 different tanks.

I also have a few suggestions for the website forum. From a few other forums that I have found, I borrowed some helpful ideas. You shoud have a few different forums to help sort all the info....a "help" forum for questions about how to navigate the site or questions for Mustafa directly, maybe a forum for other inverts that ppl may keep with their shrimp as tankmates, or even a tankmates forum on specifically for infor on stuff to keep with shrimp, a "marketplace" forum for ppl to buy or sell shrimp and equipment (of course you could have a "pinned" topic at the top of page about why to always shop here @ petshrimp.com first, I'm also a business man and you have control of forum as moderator so could easily create a lot more business for yourself), maybe a beginners forum for newbies(like me) to ask those are just a few ideas for different forums. Another thing I had a question about is it possible to post pics in a post? On some other forums they have a easy "button" thing you press and it prompts you through the steps of placing a pic off your own comp. into a post. Please don't take any of this as me complaining, this is a GREAT WEBSITE! I would love for it to take off and get bigger and these are a few ideas to help. More members = more shared knowledge, or lack of knowledge as in my case. Thanks for all the hardwork Mustafa, I know running a website is not easy.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's no surprise that the crayfish got eaten by the Oscar. Part of the natural prey for the Oscar are invertebrates. Although there are no naturally occuring crayfish populations where Oscars originate, there are Macrobrachium shrimp, which fill a similar ecological niche to crayfish in some cases and have a similar body shape.

The reasons I do not have all kinds of different categories is because I want to keep things simple and focused. I am not intending to change that. All other websites have a million categories and only a few of those categories are really useful. As for a "marketplace" category...it's not going to happen now. The hobby is not ready for an "exchange" forum yet, since there aren't enough hobbyists around who even have shrimp. Plus...before you know it the forum would be filled with people who are just commercially motivated and don't give a damn about the animals they are selling, nor know anything about them. That's the last thing I want to happen here.

For me, "business" is not the controlling factor when I make decisions about this website and the forum (or anything else really). Business will take care of itself if everything else is done correctly, without making the same old mistakes that everyone else is making. :)

Finally, you can post pictures just as easily here with the push of a button. The only difference is that you have to have your picture on your own web space first and link to it. *Everyone* has some webspace that their Internet Service Provider provides them, so that should not be a problem at all. If I allow picture uploads, I will be running out of space before you know it.

I hope this explains things sufficiently.

Mustafa