Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

Post by SuperProofer »

Spring has sprung! And it aapears whatever was wrong with my tank has resolved itself. I have berries!
Attachments
Whoa mama!
Whoa mama!
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Congratulations! Very exciting :smt026
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Finally! Great news! :smt038
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I even caught one in the middle of molting the other day. I've never seen it in person before. Was neat. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, that's always a sight to behold. Not many animals literally jump out of their "skin" and leave it all in one piece like shrimp do. :)
SuperProofer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:21 pm I even caught one in the middle of molting the other day. I've never seen it in person before. Was neat. :)
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Ba.. By shrimp. Do do do do do do. Baby shrimp do do do do do do... Mama released all the shrimplets last night. I count 9, possibly 10. Fingers crossed they all survive this time!
Zoe
Egg
Egg

Post by Zoe »

Hi, I was reading your post from the beginning and then I got lost haha. Just wanted to know how is "Trooper" doing? :)

And congrats on your new babies!!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

You know, I'm not positive. After the first time I found a berried female, I couldn't find him. But I could still count all 11 shrimp. Then, I thought I saw him again after the mass die off event. Then another berried female and I couldn't see him. So, I'm starting to think he's a she, and she is having the babies! That would make sense with him/her being the most mature one in there. It would be cool if Trooper was having the babies because then his/her legacy would live on.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I'm not sure why this keeps happening... It seems that only 2 of the babies have survived. I know they can have trouble during the transition phase, but at one point I was able to count 9 babies that had turned into fully formed shrimp. Now, all I can ever see are 2. Any ideas on what might be going wrong?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

They may simply be hiding. After the initial transition to baby shrimp they can be very hard to find, but after a molt or two they start to be as outgoing as the adults. I know with my initial batches of larvae I thought I had like 50% die offs when they metamorphosed, but later observations showed that at least 90% had survived, I simply wasn't able to find them until their behavior became like the adult shrimp.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Mine disappear completely as soon as they change, then turn up about a month later as teensy shrimp that are still very hard to spot. Initially they are so tiny that they are able to easily fit their whole bodies in among the pieces of gravel. They also seem to prefer tiny holes and hidden places during that time. I rarely spot them resting on exposed surfaces. Makes sense, I guess, when they're at that vulnerable stage.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I hope so. There's just isnt really anywhere to hide in that small jar. Fingers crossed.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

I really hope they reappear!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

So, were you able to see your baby shrimp later on? As was mentioned before, the baby shrimp tend to disappear for a while before you see them later on already quite a bit larger.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

No. Sadly I never saw more than 3 or 4 then eventually just 1. And from the next berries earlier last year, only 2 seem to have survived. I don't understand. :(

When I get some time, I've still got to set up that 1 gallon tank I've had for awhile now. I think I may just transfer these guys into it and get some new ones too. Since I can't take the little tank to work like I had planned originally, I guess I don't need it right now.