Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

Post by SuperProofer »

Thanks! Yeah I was surprised they bred the first time given the small size of their home.

I was able to firmly count 7 adults last night. Possibly 8. Poseidon is always really good at hiding, so I'm going to assume he's in there somewhere. Which means I've possibly lost 2, only 1 known for sure.

As for the babies, I could only see 3 at any given time, but I don't worry about them as I know they are like ninjas when it comes to hiding. Lol

I'll just keep a better eye on things going forward and assume all is well.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Help!! I lost another shrimp this morning. :( I can't figure out what is going on. 2 shrimp (that I know of) in such close proximity and I can only count 2 of the 6 babies (although they could be hiding) - is it time for a partial water change??
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Are the others behaving normally? If so then it could still be coincidence, but a water change couldn't hurt I suppose.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

So far, the rest seem to be acting normally.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

OK, now I know there's a problem. I lost one in the other tank! :cry: it has to be something with the construction that's going on. I can't for the life of me think of what it was, but it's the only odd variable. So, tomorrow I'm going to do a water change.

Now I'm angry. If my damn home builder hadn't been so freaking inept, we wouldn't be having to do all this right now and this probably wouldn't have happened. I didn't think it was possible to be any more pissed at them. And they are nowhere near done. I wish there were somewhere else I could take them until they are done. :smt013
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Question: could fumes harm the water quality somehow? They've used some pretty strong chemicals like epoxy, sealer, granite polish. Some days the fumes have been extremely strong. But I wouldn't think that anything physical could get in the water from fumes.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Fumes if I recall right do have physical particles in them though, just very tiny ones, and unless the tank is fully sealed I suppose there is a chance of them getting into the water.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Varanus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:16 am Fumes if I recall right do have physical particles in them though, just very tiny ones, and unless the tank is fully sealed I suppose there is a chance of them getting into the water.
Agreed! Gases get absorbed into water just like air does. Get the shrimp out of there if you can.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Damn. Ok. I'm going to do the water changes today. i may even just consolidate them since there are now only 3 left in the smaller jar. I'm going to put the corks in tight, wrap the tops in plastic wrap to try to keep everything out and put them as far into an interior room with the door blocked off as possible. :(
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I did 50% change. I hope that's enough! Fingers crossed!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

So far so good. Everyone seems happier. A little brighter and much more active. They've been a little lethargic lately, but I thought that's just how they were - that they'd settled into their routine. But now they are acting like they did when I first got them. I think they feel better.

I can firmly count 8 adults in the large jar, which means I only lost the 2 I saw die. So that's good (sort of). Only one baby though.

I didn't consolidate anyone yet. I'm thinking if they pull through this and once the construction is done, I'll order more and replenish. I'd rather have more shrimp than less! :). Then I'll get started on my 1 gal. tank as well!

Thanks everyone!
Arnold
Larva
Larva

Post by Arnold »

You have any photoss of the shrimps? It will be awesome to see them, I hope to get my Opaes soon
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Not yet. My phone camera sucks. Maybe once I upgrade my phone next month.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Are the shrimp still ok?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I believe so. No more losses (*knock on wood), and they are still active and picking away at everything. Much more normalized.