Molting Question

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jonathan03
Larva
Larva

Molting Question

Post by jonathan03 »

I have some cherry red shrimp and I'm wondering if the molts have the antenna attached to them too? I have only had the shrimp a few days, and I want to be sure that what is on the bottom of my tank are exoskeletons and not dead shrimp. Do the dead shrimp float, or rest on the bottom?

I might be a little over concerned, but I heard that these shrimp are easy to kill. I think that I do have molts and not dead shrimp, but I just want to be sure.

Also, is it normal for the shrimp to pick at the molts? I have two molts in my tank right now and there are shrimp picking at them.
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Post by Pconnieae »

Hi,

a dead shrimp is really different from a molt. It looks like a cooked shrimp. The molts are translucent. They do have the antenna attached to them.
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

I believe dead shrimp are usually on the bottom of the tank.

As pconnieae says, the molts are translucent (sometimes a whitish color).

Yes, it's normal for shrimp to pick at molts.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I usually leave the molts for the shrimp to eat.

Molts are so intricate. On a larger shrimp like Macrobrachium rosenbergii, you'll easily see that every line on their long antannae can be seen in their molt. It's neat how something so long and thin can be so cleanly unsheathed, leaving such a perfect shed exoskeleton.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

molts sink and are translucent. dead shrimp also stay at the bottom, but you usually will notice some form of coloration (white, pink, orange... kinda like a cooked shrimp). when they molt, everything goes with it, antennae and all... at first it's frightening cuz you think one might've just died, but then you get used to it. i've yet to witness a molt in progress, but others on this forum have and it's a sight to see (so i've read).

i've found the shrimp species that i've managed to keep are generally pretty hardy and molt more often than they die.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Yes yes, I witnessed a molt once. Now I have one more pregnant shrimp. I've spent a lot of time watching it in order to try my luck. I think it must be a wonderful experience to watch it give birth to babies. :) I wonder if they tend to give birth in the dark coz every time I saw newborn babies in the morning when I got up.
GrandRoyal
Egg
Egg

Post by GrandRoyal »

since you guys are on the topic, will my wood/bamboo (whatever you wanna call him :lol: ) get one of his long antenna back? He didn't have either at first but he had a little bit of one of the long ones and it came back after he molted for the first time..is it possible for him to get a full new one since I can't see much of anything where the completely gone one was?...He got tore up at the fish store but I managed to rescue him from the crabs and crayfish that were also in the tank eating the rest of them...Thanks for the help!
shrimpboyLA
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimpboyLA »

From what I know about shrimps and crabs ( invertebrates ). They can only grow in size or replacement body parts when they molt. It will take a couple of molts to completely regrow the entire limp and it's the same with antennas.