DEAD snail?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

DEAD snail?

Post by JoanToBa »

Hi, so I three days ago I bought two horned nerites, I acclimated them to the brackish water and one started moving about 5 hours later. The other one hasn’t even moved an inch, I’ve done the smell test and doesn’t smell, I’ve opened the trapdoor and it won’t come out but retracts very slowly and smells a bit like fish (what you would expect from an aquatic snail i guess?).

So, is it dead???
DrKirk
Larva
Larva

Re: DEAD snail?

Post by DrKirk »

If the operculum (‘trap door’) is closing, then it’s very likely still alive.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Hi, it’s already been 4 or 5 days, the snail doesn’t smell and the operculum is tight shut (the other time it was a little bit opened). Unfortunately it still hasn’t moved, I hope it will :cry:
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

JoanToBa wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:28 pm Hi, it’s already been 4 or 5 days, the snail doesn’t smell and the operculum is tight shut (the other time it was a little bit opened). Unfortunately it still hasn’t moved, I hope it will :cry:
Is it still the same position when you threw it in?
High possible you bought a dead snail ?
If it's latching on wall but not moving, it is still very alive.

Easy way to tell is use tweezer to move it, Live one with latch on surface not moving, Dead one seem to move freely whichever way you push it.
Or you can pick it up looking at its bottom. Is there any flesh in there or just a hollow hole. Hollow hole means it's a goner.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Now it smells a bit funny but not getting out, I think he/she’s gone
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If you think it's dead, take it out. Even if it's not dead, take it out and put it in freshwater. While you're at it take out the other nerite too. This is another reason I don't recommend nerites for Supershrimp tanks..not only do they eat everything in sight and the females lay unsightly eggs all over the glass, they also pollute the tank when they die and rot due to their large bodies/biomass. The snails I have are small...and even if some of them die, even smaller snails eat them from the inside out. With just nerites in the tank there's nothing there to eat them and even if there were some of my snails or similar snails there, the nerites are so big that they would still continue polluting the water and depleting oxygen for a very long (too long) time.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Don't worry, I already took him out and bought a few MTS, all doing fine and eating algae and debris
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good! :D