Stressed shrimp?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Stressed shrimp?

Post by JoanToBa »

Hi, these days I’ve dona a couple of water chAnges to get the salinity down to 1.008 (to try to get my nerites to breed) and I noticed that during a few hours the shrimp got the reddest that I had ever seen them. Usually, a half of them are transparent (about 5) and the rest are pink-transparent (about five of them), but the other day as I said, they got really really red after a water change. Unfortunately now they’re back at normal color.

Is it that they are usually stressed?
Does thisnmean that they will always be too stressed to breed?

By the way, in a month or so I will upgrade them to a 30 liter aquarium (from 7L to 30L) and I hope they will do well and not stress too much.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Stressed shrimp?

Post by Nellyville41 »

Too much disturbance will stress them out. My shrimps turn pale in color when they’re stressed. Goes from red to transparent/pale. But after like a few hours or overnight they turn back to red. A water change can cause that especially if you’re pouring the water and it’s splashing and what not. I try to add it slowly when topping off and even then sometimes they get stressed out.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Stressed shrimp?

Post by Mustafa »

Just curious...why are you trying to get your nerites to breed? Their veligers ("larvae") are so tiny that nobody has ever managed to raise them in captivity. And if you want to try, the best way would be to use a different tank just for the nerites.