Supershrimp mossball reproduction

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Supershrimp mossball reproduction

Post by i<3Opae »

Hi everyone, I'm curious about the mossballs...Has anyone's supershrimp mossballs (the specific ones from Mustafa) reproduced successfully? They're doing well in my tanks. After a few months there were some tiny dots of them scattered around the tank bottom, but nothing became of them. I'm aware that these mossballs have a very slow reproduction rate. In any case, has anyone had new mossballs forming and would not mind sharing some insights (how long did it take, what was the process like - pics would be greatly appreciated!)?
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Re: Supershrimp mossball reproduction

Post by ThisGuy »

Marimos reproduce by spliting not sure about Mustafa's moss balls. ( I was going to say ‟balls‟ but, that just sounds wrong)
Oople
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Oople »

I’ve had mine for about 10 months. It’s holding steady, just less green, but no signs of reproduction.
DrKirk
Larva
Larva

Post by DrKirk »

I have had multiple Chaetomorpha ‘mossball’ growths produced over the past year. All are very slow growing.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Oople wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 am I’ve had mine for about 10 months. It’s holding steady, just less green, but no signs of reproduction.
Sounds like mine (6 months), I think the less vibrant color on mine is attributable to not enough light. I have a newer one that floats so it gets a lot more light from the lamp, hence it’s still very green and has longer stands of hair.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

DrKirk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:14 pm I have had multiple Chaetomorpha ‘mossball’ growths produced over the past year. All are very slow growing.
That’s wonderful! What did the new mossball look like back when they’re brand new? Did they grow to a certain size and then split from the “mother”?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The "tiny dots" is one way that they reproduce...it's actually the main way they reproduce. You notice nothing...and then suddenly you have tiny mossballs all over the bottom. Are your "dots" still there or have they disappeared? They can also "bud" bigger pieces that then turn into a ball shape. Can you post pictures of your mossballs and the light? In tanks with mossballs and supershrimp macroalgae one can feed a bit more if one desires faster growth as the plants are absorbing the nutrients in addition to the biofilm.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

DrKirk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:14 pm I have had multiple Chaetomorpha ‘mossball’ growths produced over the past year. All are very slow growing.
What do you mean by "Chaetomorpha mossball"? Is that a typo?
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

My shrimp tank has two mossballs now. The original one i got from mustafa split into two pieces, they are both relatively small but i have ten or so small baby mossball "dots" scattered about my tank. I will get pics if I can get that good of a close up. They are small!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

I still haven’t gotten around to take photos of my tiny dots. My tank went through a bacteria bloom so it’s still slowly clearing up. Of course the dots themselves come and go too. I think the tank light on my vertical tank isn’t strong enough for the mossball, the big one is okay, but the small offsprings keep disappearing after they’re spotted.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Are the mossballs worth the price? I'm a bit hesitant with the $20 pricetag...unless they reproduce easily.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Flippers wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:44 pm Are the mossballs worth the price? I'm a bit hesitant with the $20 pricetag...unless they reproduce easily.
Total rip off...stay away from them. :-D "Worth" is relative and different for every person. They cost that much because they are unique (they literally appeared first in one of my tanks and so far nowhere else) and don't multiply "like rabbits." The small balls that I send people are many years old already...probably about 3-5 years. If I sold them for a buck each they'd be gone in a week and that would be the end of it. Is a diamond "worth" the incredible amounts of money people are willing to pay for it? For me, not...but obviously not for everyone.

And no, they neither reproduce "easily" (actually they kinda do after a while, but they take a year+ to years to grow to larger sizes) nor quickly. If you're patient and like the look of a tank bottom covered with green balls (or just a single ball as an "accent" piece) then they are definitely worth it. If not, then not. Maybe the supershrimp macroalgae is something for you in that case...grows easily and quickly (and no, it's not the reef tank Chaetomorpha that you can buy in the store).
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Mustafa wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:09 am
Flippers wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:44 pm Are the mossballs worth the price? I'm a bit hesitant with the $20 pricetag...unless they reproduce easily.
Total rip off...stay away from them. :-D
:smt044
Mustafa wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:09 am
Maybe the supershrimp macroalgae is something for you in that case...grows easily and quickly (and no, it's not the reef tank Chaetomorpha that you can buy in the store).
What makes your chaeto different? I thought that all chaeto was euryhaline?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Flippers wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 am
Not all of the them are euryhaline. The reef Cheato from the local store or online just hangs there for a while and then dies off. There are many species of Chaetomorpha out there. This one happens to be thriving at very low salinities and does very well in the low nutrient supershrimp tanks.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Mustafa wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 pm
Flippers wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 am
Not all of the them are euryhaline. The reef Cheato from the local store or online just hangs there for a while and then dies off. There are many species of Chaetomorpha out there. This one happens to be thriving at very low salinities and does very well in the low nutrient supershrimp tanks.
What about corals? Can I add any coral?