Check these guys out.

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

sprucansailor
Larva
Larva

Check these guys out.

Post by sprucansailor »

I am not a crayfish keeper (yet?) but I ran accross this website an dthought you guy might take wand to take a look. They are selling them, but the site itself is not much took at. I believe they are located in Kentucky.

http://newworldpioneerpets.com/index.html

I have never heard of them before, have any of you?
They all pretty much seem to be wild caught.

Branden
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The only problem with a lot of crayfish species in the US is that they require cold water to feel well and breed. Even room temperature for most of the year will be too high. Only some species that either have a wide range of temperature tollerance or come from places like souther Florida, Southern Louisiana, Southern Texas etc. actually do well or halfways ok in tanks with "normal" temperatures. If someone is really serious about native crayfish, he/she should get a chiller.

Mustafa
antoinette
Larva
Larva

Post by antoinette »

Wow what a beauty! are you planning to buy some?
sprucansailor
Larva
Larva

Post by sprucansailor »

I'm not planning on getting any right now, I do not have room for another decent sized tank yet. Eventually I would like to try my hand at them though!

Like Mustafa suggested, however, I will try to find a warmer temp type to keep because a chiller is to expensive for me right now.

Branden
Graeme
Egg
Egg

Post by Graeme »

Very nice!! :D
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

They are a nice cray but not very rare. These particular crays even come in a form where the body is black with those beautiful red lines. They will do fine in most unheated tanks. I have found them in areas locally where they were in water that was in the low 70 degF range.