How to acclimate FW-BW Opae to SW

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

How to acclimate FW-BW Opae to SW

Post by theshrimp_123 »

How do you do it? Drip acclimation is what i was thinking, but im now so sure. Anybody know?
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

*not
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

The best way to do it is veeeeery slowly. Put them in a temporary holding tank containing water similar to what they are in now. The acclamation process may take weeks (yes weeks) as you must only raise the salt gravity by .002 every week. This will minimize the stress the animal goes through. Hopefully you won't be going from pure fresh to salt as that will take a while :(
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I've acclimated down to fresh, but not up. I took it down 1 part per thousand per day. These opae ula are still living, and with good color, in the fresh water about 4 months later.

In reverse, I guess you'd calculate how much seawater-strength water would constitute a 1 ppt rise in your shrimp's water, then use that amount daily.
For example, the seawater I have is about 34 ppt salinity ... so about 34 'parts' of salinity in 1000 ml (1 L) of the seawater, or 1 part in 29.4 ml of seawater...
If your opae are in 15 Liters of water, you'll just need to add 15 parts daily, or (15 x 29.4=) 441 ml. So daily you would FIRST remove about 441 ml from the shrimp tank, and then replace that water with 441 ml of seawater. Or to be more careful, you could do 220 ml in the morning and 220 in the evening, or even drip the amount in daily, or something like that (though I don't personally consider this necessary).
Of course, all measurements probably won't be exact, but should be close enough. And periodically check salinity manually.

I *think* I have this math properly thought out!
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with specific gravity ... but there must be conversions you can use.

IMO, 1 ppt/day is very careful (and I recommend that), but you could probably push it to 2 or 3 ppt/day. Average freshwater shrimp larvae spilling out into estuaries and the ocean safely take a relatively quick increase in salinity.

Incidentally, I did experiment with one individual opae ula and it successfully adjusted to being dropped from 12 ppt directly into pure freshwater. Or at least, 2 months later it still lives on in the freshwater.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Not surprising considering their location/habitat - one good storm would wipe them out if they couldn't handle a sudden shift.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

True, good piont. This is why they are so hardy and live up to 20 years!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'll vote for the sudden shift. Their pools get swamped with waves, dry out then get heavy rains. I know for a fact they can go from 17ppt to 34 ppt step change and show no effects.