Lots of questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Lots of questions

Post by SuperProofer »

Good luck!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Please post some pictures when you're done tweaking it 8)
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

SuperProofer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 pm Good luck!
Thank you!!
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

i<3Opae wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:16 pm Please post some pictures when you're done tweaking it 8)
For sure, will keep you guys updated. Can't wait to introduce my shrimp to their new house, haha. Thanks again!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Sounds like you're on top of everything! Kudos for the research! Good luck! The hardest thing after setup is really to keep yourself from worrying about this or that and then messing things up by doing something. Just do nothing...everything will be fine. :)
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Mustafa wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:36 pm Sounds like you're on top of everything! Kudos for the research! Good luck! The hardest thing after setup is really to keep yourself from worrying about this or that and then messing things up by doing something. Just do nothing...everything will be fine. :)
Thank you (-: I will be uploading a picture very soon, once my shrimp make the big move.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

:smt023
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Hello everyone! My tank has been cycling almost a month now and I'm excited to introduce my shrimp from the ecosphere.

Today, I went to the pet shop and noticed some nerite snails. Remembering several snail discussions on this forum, I thought it would be nice for my tank to pick some up. I wanted to purchase four but the last two were stuck together so I ended up with seven.

So I have lightly read on these snails before and I remember some users acclimating them over hours and some users just plopping them in and having success.

I have been acclimating them not so gently over 2 hours by mixing a good amount of some water i prepared of about a 1.0014 salinity. I believe my tank is around that as well from my last measurement.

So, I have a couple of questions. If I drop these snails into my tank when I feel appropriate, if they don't make it, will they release a bunch of ammonia in my tank and make it unsafe for me to introduce my shrimp? Also, do I have too many snails? I thought 7 was fine because Mustafa sells 10, but obviously they're different kind of snails and I'm reading for a tank as small as mine (2.7 gal I believe) that one is enough. Lastly, these snails are showing super little movement. I think they're very stressed. One of the tigers has moved an inch or so. The mystery black have again suction cupped together. Does this sound like normal snail behavior? I'm almost certain they were all alive. I sniffed them when I bought them and they were all suction cupped to the walls of the tank.

The snails are 3 tiger nerites and 3 mystery black snails that seem to be apple snails.

As always, thank you guys for your guidance.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

shrimpnoobie wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:52 pm Hello everyone! My tank has been cycling almost a month now and I'm excited to introduce my shrimp from the ecosphere.

Today, I went to the pet shop and noticed some nerite snails. Remembering several snail discussions on this forum, I thought it would be nice for my tank to pick some up. I wanted to purchase four but the last two were stuck together so I ended up with seven.

So I have lightly read on these snails before and I remember some users acclimating them over hours and some users just plopping them in and having success.

I have been acclimating them not so gently over 2 hours by mixing a good amount of some water i prepared of about a 1.0014 salinity. I believe my tank is around that as well from my last measurement.

So, I have a couple of questions. If I drop these snails into my tank when I feel appropriate, if they don't make it, will they release a bunch of ammonia in my tank and make it unsafe for me to introduce my shrimp? Also, do I have too many snails? I thought 7 was fine because Mustafa sells 10, but obviously they're different kind of snails and I'm reading for a tank as small as mine (2.7 gal I believe) that one is enough. Lastly, these snails are showing super little movement. I think they're very stressed. One of the tigers has moved an inch or so. The mystery black have again suction cupped together. Does this sound like normal snail behavior? I'm almost certain they were all alive. I sniffed them when I bought them and they were all suction cupped to the walls of the tank.

The snails are 3 tiger nerites and 3 mystery black snails that seem to be apple snails.

As always, thank you guys for your guidance.
Apple snails nope but nerite yes. My rule is One nerite per 5 gals of Opae tank. Your have too many snails.
Mustafa sold 10 snails package, those that eat shrimp poo and other organic matter and burrow themselves in the sand.

What you can do is..instead of pop it in the actual tank, scope up some of the tank water into another small container to hold those snails first. Feed them .

When algae starts growing on the actual tank then just throw one in. Fyi nerite just clean whatever grows on the surface and tank wall, they don't dig into sand.
Just focus on the lightning to grow shrimp food(algae) first, the rest take it slow.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

I hope you can return most of them! Lol

Not all nerites are a good fit for opae ula tank. Tiger and Apple nerites are really huge snails for your tank size. Mustafa’s snails are much smaller. To be honest, I wouldn’t have Tiger or Apple nerites in my tank.
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Thank you guys for your replies. I'm gonna return the snails while they're still alive and kicking.

Like I said my tank has been cycling almost a month. I bought Mustafa's macroalgea, but I don't see any natural growth. My house has a stable temperature of around 72 which probably inhibits growth, but my tank has a good light source (the sun).

When do you guys think my tank will be ready?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Do you have brown or green algae growing on decor/substrate/tank wall? Do you at least have biofilm on the surface of your tank water? Even without visible algae growth, the tank should be close to being ready. If you wanna be on the safe side, another two weeks will do.
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Im not seeing any of that )-: I guess another two weeks will do!!
This may be a silly question, but my tank is open to air and so naturally some dust gets in there. That's alright right?
i<3Opae wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:57 pm Do you have brown or green algae growing on decor/substrate/tank wall? Do you at least have biofilm on the surface of your tank water? Even without visible algae growth, the tank should be close to being ready. If you wanna be on the safe side, another two weeks will do.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

shrimpnoobie wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13 pm Do you have brown or green algae growing on decor/substrate/tank wall? Do you at least have biofilm on the surface of your tank water? Even without visible algae growth, the tank should be close to being ready. If you wanna be on the safe side, another two weeks will do.
Provided nothing toxic gets in it should be fine, but most would recommend the tank having a cover. That is given you will rarely, if ever, do water changes it helps to have a cover to reduce how much dust, hair, etc. end up in the water. Having a cover also reduces evaporation, so you don't have to add new replacement water as often.
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Varanus wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:52 am
shrimpnoobie wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13 pm Do you have brown or green algae growing on decor/substrate/tank wall? Do you at least have biofilm on the surface of your tank water? Even without visible algae growth, the tank should be close to being ready. If you wanna be on the safe side, another two weeks will do.
Provided nothing toxic gets in it should be fine, but most would recommend the tank having a cover. That is given you will rarely, if ever, do water changes it helps to have a cover to reduce how much dust, hair, etc. end up in the water. Having a cover also reduces evaporation, so you don't have to add new replacement water as often.
Alright thank you. Yeah nothing toxic in my room (scents/cleaning supplies), but I'll look into getting it a cover. The tank came with this cover, but it only covers half the tank, its kinda weird. I have been using the half cover.
I'm gonna purchase some snails from Mustafa today to help the cycling process and hope I can introduce the shrimp soon!