Lots of questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Lots of questions

Post by Mustafa »

It's easier to tell if your tank is ready if you post a picture or two. :)
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Hi, thanks for replying (-:

I just got your snails today and put them in my tank. I measured the salinity out of curiosity and the water they came in is a bit lower than mine (my tank is at about 1.014). I’m going to work on lowering the salinity, but right now as I mentioned my tank lid doesn’t fully cover my tank so I’m fighting some evaporation.

I added some pictures, it’s just my phone camera so not the best quality (-:
Attachments
1285ED95-E560-4E1B-BBAE-D9A41A738309.jpeg
FF7CBFD7-A333-4E3F-A7B6-562EB9D5E56C.jpeg
F4C002C7-5F5C-4AB3-A4FB-EF2008937BC4.jpeg
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Moving forward, I’d like to introduce my shrimp soon! Like I mentioned, I’ve been cycling about a month.

Some questions about introducing my shrimp:
If I have to feed them, what do I feed them?
Should I transfer their old water or will that raise my ammonia? (my tank is 2.7 gal)

Thanks everyone! Your advice has been invaluable.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Your tank looks great! I like the look of the curved sides.

Shrimpwise, I might leave the snails in there for a week before adding the shrimp, but maybe that's me being overly cautious. If they seem happy in their current setup I'd add their old water to the new water and take advantage of whatever waterborne bacteria and algae population they've got going in there. The parameters don't have to be exactly the same--both shrimp and snails with adapt.

If you must feed, they will eat pretty much any kind of quality fish or shrimp food, but make sure it's a tiny amount. If you can see biofilm and algae growth, it's better to err on the side of not feeding. If they just sit in one place and do grabby hands it means there's so much food available they don't have to go hunting around for it :-D
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

shrimpnoobie wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:42 am 1/2 egg shell, and Lavarocks from a pet shop/home depot.
Does anyone here have experience with egg shells in their water? I've seen people post about wanting to use eggshells, but I've never read about actual results!! How long does 1/2 an egg shell last? Do the shrimp eat the bacteria on it? Does it disintegrate at all?
Thanks!
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

shrimpnoobie wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:05 pm Hi, thanks for replying (-:

I just got your snails today and put them in my tank. I measured the salinity out of curiosity and the water they came in is a bit lower than mine (my tank is at about 1.014). I’m going to work on lowering the salinity, but right now as I mentioned my tank lid doesn’t fully cover my tank so I’m fighting some evaporation.

I added some pictures, it’s just my phone camera so not the best quality (-:
WOW that's a GORGEOUS tank !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Aw guys thank you for your nice responses!!!! I really appreciate it. And here I thought my tank was too simple (;

Here is the post I referenced for my eggshell: https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... php?t=5942

Yes please add if you have experience with eggshells as I can always go pick up a seashell or something instead.
So I don’t have to worry about the ammonia?
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Super Jess wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:33 pm Your tank looks great! I like the look of the curved sides.

Shrimpwise, I might leave the snails in there for a week before adding the shrimp, but maybe that's me being overly cautious. If they seem happy in their current setup I'd add their old water to the new water and take advantage of whatever waterborne bacteria and algae population they've got going in there. The parameters don't have to be exactly the same--both shrimp and snails with adapt.

If you must feed, they will eat pretty much any kind of quality fish or shrimp food, but make sure it's a tiny amount. If you can see biofilm and algae growth, it's better to err on the side of not feeding. If they just sit in one place and do grabby hands it means there's so much food available they don't have to go hunting around for it :-D
Yes, I was gonna wait a week anyway to be safe as well! And yes, I will only feed if you guys feel like I should. I’ve heard feeding goes awry sometimes, but I wonder if there’s enough algae in my tank?
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

My snails are doing crazy sand crop circles, does that mean they’re looking for food or is this normal snail behavior?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

They'll probably zoom around for a bit then burrow into the sand and you won't see them for a week. Then, just after you put another 10 snails into your shopping cart, they'll start poking about again :lol:
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Hi everyone!!

SO, I introduced Mustafa's snails on Thursday and everything seems to be going fine. I can usually see like 3 snails at a time hanging out, they burrow and stick to my walls. ALSO, there is a snail that is inside Mustafa's macroalgea. Like, the little guy has been there for some days. Should I be worried or is he just getting fat in there?

OK, so as you guys saw in my pictures my tank has no algea at all other than the Mustafa macroalgea I added. Not even a biofilm. However, it has been cycling for 5 weeks this week so I'd like to introduce shrimp as they are in an ecosphere and I'd like to get them out as soon as possible! I guess I can supplement with some feedings every once in awhile? How often for my tank that has no algea? Or should I let them consume Mustafa's algea completely before adding food? Are my snails getting enough food? WIll they eat the same little fish food flakes that the shrimp will eat? Should I feed them?!?

Thanks, I'm hoping to add my shrimp children on Thursday.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

shrimpnoobie wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:21 am Hi everyone!!

SO, I introduced Mustafa's snails on Thursday and everything seems to be going fine. I can usually see like 3 snails at a time hanging out, they burrow and stick to my walls. ALSO, there is a snail that is inside Mustafa's macroalgea. Like, the little guy has been there for some days. Should I be worried or is he just getting fat in there?

OK, so as you guys saw in my pictures my tank has no algea at all other than the Mustafa macroalgea I added. Not even a biofilm. However, it has been cycling for 5 weeks this week so I'd like to introduce shrimp as they are in an ecosphere and I'd like to get them out as soon as possible! I guess I can supplement with some feedings every once in awhile? How often for my tank that has no algea? Or should I let them consume Mustafa's algea completely before adding food? Are my snails getting enough food? WIll they eat the same little fish food flakes that the shrimp will eat? Should I feed them?!?

Given that Mustafa's macroalgae features a picture of snails in the Chaeto, I think that it's okay.
I wouldn't feed them more, just based off of tooth's "success story"
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Just to be clear the snails and shrimp don't actually eat the macroalgae directly the way they do microalgae (i.e. the stuff that grows on surfaces). They graze biofilm off it and eat any of the macroalgae that decays.

As for whether the tank is cycled or not, since you haven't seen any algae growing on surfaces I'd test the water for ammonia to be safe, but after five weeks the shrimp will probably be okay regardless. Just be prepared to do a water change if problems develop.

And yes, the snails eat pretty much anything the shrimp will eat.

As for feeding them, you may want to feed a very small bit every two or three weeks at least at first. As I understand it Tooth doesn't need to feed their tank because there is enough algae in it, whereas yours is not like that.
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Varanus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 am

Just to be clear the snails and shrimp don't actually eat the macroalgae directly the way they do microalgae (i.e. the stuff that grows on surfaces). They graze biofilm off it and eat any of the macroalgae that decays.

As for whether the tank is cycled or not, since you haven't seen any algae growing on surfaces I'd test the water for ammonia to be safe, but after five weeks the shrimp will probably be okay regardless. Just be prepared to do a water change if problems develop.

As for feeding them, you may want to feed a very small bit every two or three weeks at least at first. As I understand it Tooth doesn't need to feed their tank because there is enough algae in it, whereas yours is not like that.
Haha I did not know that about the macroalgea (-: All this time I thought they were munching away at it.
Yes, I have read through Tooth's story and they have got lots and lots of algea! I will test for ammonia and I am prepared for a water change. Thank you for your advice.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Varanus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 am

I never knew this!! Fascinating.