Iis my tank ready for Supershrimp? no sign of algae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

kimuh72
Egg
Egg

Iis my tank ready for Supershrimp? no sign of algae

Post by kimuh72 »

Hey guys.. how are you?
it's been 4th weeks I set up my 6 gallon tank but I do not see any signs of algae.
thanks to Mustafa, I followed up his steps to set up my tank and just waiting to see algae to add Supershrimps.

LED light, 12 hours on, 12 hours off (6am on, 6pm off)
no direct sunlight
salinity 6.010
added Moss ball 2nd week
I added Flourish Excel 3rd week
I keep my filter running 24hr

I am attaching pictures.

please help me.
Attachments
IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1560.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Iis my tank ready for Supershrim? no sign of algae

Post by Sasquatch »

I’m no expert, but around these parts a filter is not recommended.

Regarding the tank being ready, just wait for visible algae. Having said that, I moved 10 shrimp from an ecosphere into a tank that hadn’t been cycled at all. They survived.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Plus once you remove the filter, the first algae you may see may be as a greenish surface film. That was in fact pretty much the only visible algae my tank got before I added shrimp, and years down the line they are still doing great.

I do worry about the plants you have in there, including the moss balls. Its been debated plenty on here about whether they are good for supershrimp or not, but I'd be careful regardless. If they start degrading and polluting the water you may not notice until its too late to save the shrimp.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

I see a driftwood there? A wood is a no no
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

I'd go for it. 4 weeks is more than enough time. (I was a little reckless when setting up my tank but everyone survived.)

As everyone else said, get rid of the filter and you'll be all set. Also, I'm wondering if the filter is why you don't have any algae. You probably have bacteria in your filter media that's keeping the waste products down.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Even though there may be no signs of algae it's probably there. There's also biofilm. I started a small jar for 12+ opae. There's no visible algae anymore. The jar has been up for around 8 months or so. I didn't add any opae for the first 2-3 months but let it sit in an area that offered direct sun for 3-4 hours a day. There's waste in the jar. I know the opae are feeding.
I would also recommend removing the filter and plants. The plants have a good chance of dying so why take the chance. Also the opae will get sucked up in the filter.
Attachments
Jar1.JPG
jar3.JPG
jar.JPG
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 pm I see a driftwood there? A wood is a no no
Let me echo this, some shrimp like having driftwood, but supershrimp don't.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As others have said, take out those plants. The java moss will *definitely* die and pollute the tank (even though it may appear alive because it's still green) and the marimo balls will most likely not do well either. The "Supershrimp mossball/algaeball" sold on this site is *not* the same as marimo balls. The "mossballs" here are most likely a completely different species. They don't even replicate/"reproduce" the same way. I wonder if people get marimo balls because they see some kind of "mossball" being sold on this site.

And, yes, remove the filter and the driftwood. And yes, your tank will be most likely ready once you've followed the above and let the tank sit for a few more days.
kimuh72
Egg
Egg

Re: Iis my tank ready for Supershrimp? no sign of algae

Post by kimuh72 »

thank you all!!

removing filter + moss balls + other plants + driftwood.
will wait for couple more days and add Supershrimp..

thanks..again.
kimuh72
Egg
Egg

Post by kimuh72 »

Sasquatch wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm I’m no expert, but around these parts a filter is not recommended.

Regarding the tank being ready, just wait for visible algae. Having said that, I moved 10 shrimp from an ecosphere into a tank that hadn’t been cycled at all. They survived.
thanks..
kimuh72
Egg
Egg

Post by kimuh72 »

Vorteil wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:13 am Even though there may be no signs of algae it's probably there. There's also biofilm. I started a small jar for 12+ opae. There's no visible algae anymore. The jar has been up for around 8 months or so. I didn't add any opae for the first 2-3 months but let it sit in an area that offered direct sun for 3-4 hours a day. There's waste in the jar. I know the opae are feeding.
I would also recommend removing the filter and plants. The plants have a good chance of dying so why take the chance. Also the opae will get sucked up in the filter.
I see wood in your jar.. can you let me know what type?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Looks like a sea fan skeleton.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

It is just a sea fan skeleton. It used to be black but over time the color has changed. I don't want to disturb the jar since it's been doing great and i've had berried females give birth. I have at least 3 berried females. No feeding, just topping off and opening the lid every so often for air/gas exchange. You can see the biofilm on the glass.
IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3036.JPG
IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3309.JPG
IMG_3330.JPG
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Your shrimp are so large and happy! Those are some big bunches of eggs.