Flipper's Shrimp Journal

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Flipper's Shrimp Journal

Post by Flippers »

Edit 4th of May, 2018
I've changed the name of this post from "Is it ready?" to "Flipper's Shrimp Journal". I received great advice on this thread and I'm going to use it as my launch board for my shrimp journey. I will be posting pictures and updates on this thread. Thank you for looking!! :-D

--------------------------------------

Is my tank ready for shrimp? I know I've been posting a lot (sorry) and emailing (sorry, again), but it's such a large investment I want to make sure that my shrimpies will be healthy!

* My tank salinity is right below 1.014 (it looks like it's in between 1.014 and 1.016 in this picture, though... It's usually below the 1.014)
* My water is 80% R/O, 20% tap (I treated it... It was a little low and I just put in some more water... I have a filtration system in my house that takes out chlorine AND I treated it... Should I really start over to make it 100% R/O?)
* My tank has been cycling for nearly 3 weeks
* I have Java Fern and some Marimo Moss Balls, I will be removing these when I get home :)
* I have a Zebra Nerite snail named Cicada; he's doing well
* I have two plastic plants (should I keep these???)
* I have one large lava rock and three tiny ones
* I used aragonite sand
* It's 5 gallons

Thank you so, so much.
Attachments
IMG_1007.jpg
Last edited by Flippers on Fri May 04, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Is it ready?

Post by Nellyville41 »

Do you see any signs of algae growth? My algae growth were the specks all over my glass so it wasn’t a concentrated spot on a rock or anything. Once you see that, your tank cycled. Patience. I let mine cycle for like 6 weeks before I finally ordered the shrimps and snails.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Nellyville41 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:29 pm Do you see any signs of algae growth? My algae growth were the specks all over my glass so it wasn’t a concentrated spot on a rock or anything.
No algae other than that I put in (which I'm taking out)...
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Just continue to wait. Once you see a nice layer of biofilm on top you should be good to go to make that order. You can always order 2 separate times and buy the snails and his macroalgae first and then the shrimps afterwards. It’ll help speed up the process.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Nellyville41 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:10 am You can always order 2 separate times and buy the snails and his macroalgae first and then the shrimps afterwards. It’ll help speed up the process.
I don’t want to pay the flat rate shipping twice :-o
I checked petco and PetSmart and neither has the macrogae Mustafa uses. I know a local pet shop with weird things, I’ll check there…. I have a nerite snail in there now!
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

If you’re gonna be cheap, then I would just wait it out. Don’t introduce plants that can’t handle brackish water. Just wait it out like 2 weeks. Make sure it gets sunlight if not buy a lamp with a sunlight bulb and a timer. I have mine set on 12 hrs a day.
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

Removing the java and marimo is a good idea. I waited until I observed green algae signs on my tank walls then I ordered the chaeto and 30 brackish snails from Mustafa. I released everything into the tank and checked water parameters in the tank once a month and when my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate hit 0 I ordered 30 shrimp from Mustafa as well. I soon ordered 20 more even got a bonus shrimp (thanks Mustafa). My chaeto grows in spurts to the point where I have to trim it and my snails have grown into some sort of mutated giant snail :-) and multiplied numerous times. Some of the shrimp hide in the coral rock and some graze. All is well in the shrimp kingdom. I have my success story posted with pics if interested. We have a great community here. Good luck! :D
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

SGTSHEW wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:26 am Removing the java and marimo is a good idea. I waited until I observed green algae signs on my tank walls then I ordered the chaeto and 30 brackish snails from Mustafa. I released everything into the tank and checked water parameters in the tank once a month and when my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate hit 0 I ordered 30 shrimp from Mustafa as well. I soon ordered 20 more even got a bonus shrimp (thanks Mustafa). My chaeto grows in spurts to the point where I have to trim it and my snails have grown into some sort of mutated giant snail :-) and multiplied numerous times. Some of the shrimp hide in the coral rock and some graze. All is well in the shrimp kingdom. I have my success story posted with pics if interested. We have a great community here. Good luck! :D
Wow!! I removed my marimo and java :) . I saw my FIRST signs of algae on the rocks and on the back wall!!! I was very excited :lol:
What kind of coral do you use? Just crushed coral? I don't have anything with calcium in it, I know that I need to get this before my shrimp move in... Where did you get it? I have aragonite sand and lava rock, that's it now. (And plastic plants in addition to my nerite snail...No plant life other than algae).

I know that the tests react differently for salt and fresh water, where should I gage this for brackish?? And do you have any experience on the accuracy of a fluval sea hydrometer or should I just not even worry about my salinity? (My snail is doing GREAT)

Thanks so much for replying!! Your story gives me hope :D
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Look at my beautiful green rocks :smt007
Attachments
IMG_1515.jpg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

I don't have anything with calcium in it, I know that I need to get this before my shrimp move in... Where did you get it? I have aragonite sand and lava rock, that's it now.
Aragonite is calcium carbonate, so you're all set for calcium :)
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

Flippers wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:04 pm
SGTSHEW wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:26 am Removing the java and marimo is a good idea. I waited until I observed green algae signs on my tank walls then I ordered the chaeto and 30 brackish snails from Mustafa. I released everything into the tank and checked water parameters in the tank once a month and when my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate hit 0 I ordered 30 shrimp from Mustafa as well. I soon ordered 20 more even got a bonus shrimp (thanks Mustafa). My chaeto grows in spurts to the point where I have to trim it and my snails have grown into some sort of mutated giant snail :-) and multiplied numerous times. Some of the shrimp hide in the coral rock and some graze. All is well in the shrimp kingdom. I have my success story posted with pics if interested. We have a great community here. Good luck! :D
Wow!! I removed my marimo and java :) . I saw my FIRST signs of algae on the rocks and on the back wall!!! I was very excited :lol:
What kind of coral do you use? Just crushed coral? I don't have anything with calcium in it, I know that I need to get this before my shrimp move in... Where did you get it? I have aragonite sand and lava rock, that's it now. (And plastic plants in addition to my nerite snail...No plant life other than algae).

I know that the tests react differently for salt and fresh water, where should I gage this for brackish?? And do you have any experience on the accuracy of a fluval sea hydrometer or should I just not even worry about my salinity? (My snail is doing GREAT)

I use Carib Sea crushed coral for my substrate. As Super Jess said as long as you have something with Aragonite in it to buffer the water you will be fine so your good there. Some say you don't need to test the water parameters that as long as you see algae everything is a go for shrimp. I bought the 10lb Carib Sea South Sea base rock because I liked the size and the fact that it had holes in it. I couldn't find lava rock big enough or from a reputable source. People have tried to use live plants in these systems but with not much success or so I have read. The small size of a nano system makes it hard to keep the water balanced with a live plant, it increases the chance of a tank crash with the still water like most of us use. I bought the API Master Saltwater test kit mainly because this is my first ever aquarium and I wanted to learn about the nitrogen cycle at different stages but you don't NEED one. I use the Instant Ocean SeaTest Hydrometer to test my salinity but after you get the specific salinity you want there really isn't a need to test it again as long as you just top off with RO or DI water. Once you find your target point use a sharpie to mark the tank level then top off when you lose about 10% to evap. The salinity will not change as long as you do not remove water. These supershrimp can do very well in a wide range of salinity due to their native habitat. Mustafa has outlined how to set everything up under SUPERSHRIMP! and he talks about salinity there. I do strongly suggest putting in a Chaetomorpha as soon as possible. They are amazing at eating nitrates. Mine has shed 3 times and I have already put some in another tank. Best advice to you is keep it simple. These species of shrimp originally come from the Anchialine pools in Hawaii. There is a book titled "Hawaiian Anchialine Pools Windows To A Hidden World" that I strongly recommend if you are interested in the opae ula story and the threats to their habitat. Best of luck to you Flippers! I attached a picture of my chaeto, the opas love using it as a grazing platform.
Attachments
Light just turned on so most of my shrimp are hiding in the rocks.  They sleep in lol.
Light just turned on so most of my shrimp are hiding in the rocks. They sleep in lol.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

SGTSHEW wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:22 am
Flippers wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:04 pm

I do strongly suggest putting in a Chaetomorpha as soon as possible. They are amazing at eating nitrates. Mine has shed 3 times and I have already put some in another tank. Best advice to you is keep it simple. These species of shrimp originally come from the Anchialine pools in Hawaii. There is a book titled "Hawaiian Anchialine Pools Windows To A Hidden World" that I strongly recommend if you are interested in the opae ula story and the threats to their habitat. Best of luck to you Flippers! I attached a picture of my chaeto, the opas love using it as a grazing platform.
I will look into that book, thank you !!
Where did you get your Chaetomorpha? Is the Chaeto on this website really much different than elsewhere? Thank you for replying! :D
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

If you are interested in the book go to Mutual Publishing to get it. People are trying to charge over $1000.00 (yes a thousand) when you can get it directly from the publisher for about $14 bucks. As far as chaetomorpha I believe the species is the same as you would find anywhere but Mustafa's is already acclimated to brackish water and I trust him. Plus the stuff he sells comes out of his own opae ula tanks so other than a slight temperature acclimation its open the box and drop in your tank ready to go. Glad to help.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

SGTSHEW wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:12 am If you are interested in the book go to Mutual Publishing to get it.
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to order one :)
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

SGTSHEW wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:12 am If you are interested in the book go to Mutual Publishing to get it. People are trying to charge over $1000.00 (yes a thousand)
Yeah...I saw that on eBay, it was CRAZY! Thanks for the tip.