I'm new to this forum

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Cajunspice
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

I'm new to this forum

Post by Cajunspice »

Its great that a forum is dedicated to shrimps, they're so beautiful!

i was so exciting about shrimp breeding, i got myself 3 pregnant cherry red shrimps. THey're in a breeding net with java moss in my 50 gallon community tank. Will the babies be small enough to slip through the net? I'm afraid, and where do they lay their eggs?

:D they're so beautiful and useful
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

hello, i'm pretty new too.
still learning... i don't think they lay their eggs anywhere. they kinda keep it on them until they hatch. the baby shrimps will be just a lil bigger than baby brine shrimp, so that is pretty small and i think they will find a way out of your net.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Don't know if your net cage is same as those available in my country. Those I have seen here is collapsable, white in color. I think the holes are too big and baby shrimp too small. I'm afraid they'll become "snacks" for your fish.

We have plastic breeder tanks (transparent) available here but the problem is that the holes at the bottom are again too big because baby shrimp are really too small. However, I put a thin layer of small gravels inside so that the babies can't go out and the fish can't suck the babies out through the holes. But make sure the suction cups are big and strong enough to hold the breeder tank. Small suction cups don't work and the whole breeder tank would sink.

My baby shrimps have been living in there for over a month. You may consider the above method.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

consider buying a small grow out tank (5-10 gallons), put in a sponge filter, and some plants. u don't even need gravel necessarily. i personally think the breeding net will work fine, but that's just me.
Cajunspice
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cajunspice »

i hav a 10 gallon tank preparing to be setup for the shrimps. i have a powerfilter with a sponge on the intake tube culturing bacteria on my established tank. Tomorrow i'm going to move the shrimps into the 10 gallon. I'll have Co2 in it with java moss and water sprite. Hope all goes well. O yea i my net is like mesh net. I just read some where babies are so small, u can't see them. But i guess that's wrong. Thanks for ur replies!
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

You're welcome. I believe shrimp friends here are more than happy to answer questions and discuss together as long as we know the answers and have enough time. :)

No matter how small baby shrimps are, they're visible if you take a closer look and if the color of the substrate is not similar to the color of the babies.
Cajunspice
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cajunspice »

i just moved my 3 pregnant shrimps into the 10 gallon tank. I noticed one of them is not pregnant anymore, and i believe the babies are lost in transition =/. How does it get pregnant again? Do i need another male to fertilize her or she'll get pregnant again like guppies?
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Post by Pconnieae »

Hi,

I think you shouldn't have moved the pregnant shrimps in another tank. I tried once to move my pregnant shrimps in another tank and they also got rid of their eggs. I think pregnant shrimps are sensitive to changes of water parameters.

If you want them to carry eggs again, put a male in the tank and just wait :D .
Cajunspice
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cajunspice »

great idea, but how can i tell if one is a male? I've heard that the less intensity of red on the shrimp is the male. Btw, i water from the other tank and i set the parameters to be almost exact. They're doing great in my java mosses eating algae. Are Iodine and calcium required for their molting?

=O i just checked the tank again and i saw 2 babies! :D :D
Adrianna
Egg
Egg

Post by Adrianna »

Hi, I'm also new in here :D

I have 7 red cherries (and aboult 100 of their juveniles), 3 tiger shrimps, 4 bumblebees and 7 green shrimp with numerous of apple snails (Pomacea bridgesii) in a 30 gallon tank. Two red cherries and one tiger are carrying eggs :lol:

I'm wondering if the shrimps carry their "kids" after they are hatchet? My tiger shrimp has been carrying eggs for almost 4 weeks and I have been noticing some "weird" things. These eggs have turned into black, and they are moving... Looks like the shrimp female is carrying little juveniles... Or is it just my imagination? :-D

-Adrianna-
obi1
Egg
Egg

Post by obi1 »

Hi,I'm also new in here.
First I apologize for my english because i'm Romanian but i live in Luxembourg.
I gest both few shrimps from here and for few days i'm reading these wonderful site.My shrimps they are few Red Cherry female and male,Tiger shrimp "Caridina spec",Nectarine shrimp "Neocaridina palmata",Brown dwarf shrimp "Neocaridina babaulti" ,green dwarf shrimp "Neocaridina babaulti".I have order from each species 3 pieces 2 female and 1 male.I have been personaly to buy them from the "shop" about 300km away from me.In the first day i have lost about 3 off them but i dont now wich kind.Now after exactly 9 days after i both them i have small babies wich i thing they are REd Cherry.Now i prepare a new tank of 50L=13 G and i whant to ask you wich plants i should use except Java moss wich will be on a wood of Mopan (i like to put something to make gazon).
Thanks.

P.S I see you have problems with sites in another language whay you dont try this browser wich have online translation from many language to english Maxthon.I use it to translate from german,japan,dutch to english.
Last edited by obi1 on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

Can anyone tell me an estimate of how small a newborn baby cherry shrimp is?
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Post by Pconnieae »

Cajunspice wrote:=O i just checked the tank again and i saw 2 babies! :D :D
Congratulations! :D
wheezo wrote:Can anyone tell me an estimate of how small a newborn baby cherry shrimp is?
It is about 3 mm. Have a look here :) .
Cajunspice
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cajunspice »

can a baby shrimp swim as soon as its released? i just found one flowing around in the tank... =/
Cajunspice
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cajunspice »

on second thought it might be that it molted... i hope