Hello from Singapore

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Enzo
Egg
Egg

Re: Hello from Singapore

Post by Enzo »

helgi
Egg
Egg

Post by helgi »

Enzo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:57 pm My previous experience with adding the horned nerite snail in has never been successful, all of them died not long after adding in but the shrimps and the old snail seems to survive well.

Trying to slowly drip the tank water into the newly bought snails water bag b4 dropping them in this time.
Odd. I put horned nerites on small piece of floating foam. They immediately crawled under the water level and had no any issues since then, all still alive.
Enzo
Egg
Egg

Post by Enzo »

Probably it's the batch problem. The shop I frequent, their snails are always half dead in the tank.

Recently I went there n there was no snails. Went to 4 different shops b4 I found 1.

Bought 2 and my old snail immediately ride on one of the new snails for a few days. I took the other lonely one out to put into my small tank.

Gg to setup a ultra big tank soon for breeding.
helgi
Egg
Egg

Post by helgi »

Enzo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:31 pm Probably it's the batch problem. The shop I frequent, their snails are always half dead in the tank.

Recently I went there n there was no snails. Went to 4 different shops b4 I found 1.

Bought 2 and my old snail immediately ride on one of the new snails for a few days. I took the other lonely one out to put into my small tank.

Gg to setup a ultra big tank soon for breeding.
I prefer green chapter store, never had any issues with theirs live and non-live stock. And most bright red of my opae ulas I've bought there too. Even thinking about culling of opae ula, moving pink, yellow and transparent ones into another tank.
Enzo
Egg
Egg

Post by Enzo »

Wow they sell opae ula? I'm ok with non bright red la but not ok with dying snails.

So far my 2 snails surviving n cleaned up my dirty tank. Surprisingly so far so good. Looks like cannot buy snail from the shop if u c alot of dying ones.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Enzo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:49 am After dripping the water from tank into the bag containing the snails over 6 hrs, I dropped the snail into the tank. After few hours they haven moved at all. Wondering if they will make it.
They are probably fine. Snails do that.
Ndrewtan
Egg
Egg

Post by Ndrewtan »

Hello from Malaysia! I had 7 shrimp in 2020 and I have over 100 now. I started my tank with around 10000ppm Salinity, and only top up with RO water. I do not run a filter. Tank only has stones, sand and marrimo moss balls. Shrimps are still reproducing and larvae just a few weeks ago were spotted. Hope this helps you in some way! I would remove the filter. The shrimps don't seem to need it at all with their super low bioload. I feed my shrimp a very small amount of spirulina or Fish pellets once in awhile (once a week or 2 weeks). I have never done any water changes after the tank was cycled and shrimps added.

I have a simple set of videos here documenting my experiments.
https://youtu.be/k0XFCj6vUXA
Attachments
20230329_025124.jpg