Yellow shrimp after many years

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JillBoston
Egg
Egg

Yellow shrimp after many years

Post by JillBoston »

Hello,
When I bought my shrimp they were all very red. Fast forward six years I have around 70 shrimp and a good majority are light such as tones of yellow with some being bright yellow. My question is how does that happen? Genes? diet? water conditions? It's not like they breed often and I certainly don't do selective breeding for color.

Jill
Attachments
tankfl-1.jpg
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Yellow shrimp after many years

Post by crittersni »

Very cool!! Mine tend to be orange in the morning, with many losing their color during the day -- until the next day.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Wow, very cool. Genetic mutant maybe? This is the first time I've seen yellow opae ula.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

i<3Opae wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 am Wow, very cool. Genetic mutant maybe? This is the first time I've seen yellow opae ula.
Check out the "orange shrimp" thread here....I have a breeding population of them going. They breed true if they are truly "orange/yellow" shrimp. However, lots of shrimp in people's tanks can look orangish yellowish one day and turn bright red the next day...so it wasn't really easy to select out the individuals that breed true now.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As for "why" mutations happen...it's complicated. :) If your population is from me, then most likely you got some shrimp that were carrying the orange/yellow mutant gene.