How do you catch Opae to transfer to new tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

lynxo323
Egg
Egg

How do you catch Opae to transfer to new tank?

Post by lynxo323 »

Hi,

What do you use to catch the opae in exsisting tank to move to another tank? They are so tiny and fast!
Also, tank size is 6” x 6” x 6” so it’s not like I can use small standard fish net.
Kcirrem
Egg
Egg

Re: How do you catch Opae to transfer to new tank?

Post by Kcirrem »

I used a small shrimp net (Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049 ... UTF8&psc=1 ). When I was trying to catch the shrimp, I made sure not to make many sudden movements with the net which would scare the shrimp away. Just slowly use the net to herd the shrimp to go against the wall then capture them with the net!

Best of luck!
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

I use 2 oz cups. It takes longer but they're never out of the water.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Depending on the size of your tank's opening, you could use a small ladle or measuring spoons. I put my shrimp into a medium sizeed ramekin and used a 1/2 tsp. measuring spoon to scopp them out and drop them in the jars.
Dylan
Larva
Larva

Post by Dylan »

I use a turkey baster to catch brine shrimps
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

I saw someone use a turkey baster very effectively at a craft fair. I bought one, but it evidently wasn't as high a quality.

I've used 3 oz paper/plastic cups several times to scoop them up and put them in water to swim out (mosly) on their own. They were never out of water nor dumped. This worked well with most, but tricky with others. When I thought I had them all, I used a larger, clear cup to empty the tank and make certain none were hiding and had been left behind.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

When I moved mine to a new tank I used a small net much like Kcirrem did. None of the shrimp seemed to suffer any ill effects from being out of the water for a few seconds.