Mold on lid...

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

angelicajoy
Egg
Egg

Mold on lid...

Post by angelicajoy »

Hi! :smt006 I have a tank getting ready now to free ecosphere shrimp into. I followed the awesome instructions on this site exactly (at least I think I did- hopefully I didn’t screw anything else up!) but wrongly assumed a piece of plastic I had around would make an okay lid... but I notice now the plastic has little cracks which seem to have gone moldy (don’t think it’s algae since it’s grey and not growing in the water, just on lid, smells like mold, and closely resembles mold I’ve dealt with elsewhere in this house).

It’s just substrate, buffer, decorations, and brackish water in the tank right now. No visible algae or biofilm yet. Is it okay to just change the lid and leave the water alone? I saw someone say mold wasn’t a big deal in a general shrimp forum when I searched but wanted to be sure that was true for an Opae Ula tank. It’s 5 gallons if that matters!
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Re: Mold on lid...

Post by JasonG3333 »

Hello fellow Ecosphere Shrimp Releaser! Same way I got started with this hobby: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5199

The mold on your lid shouldn't be an issue especially since the shrimp won't be coming in direct contact with lid (correct?). Please post photo(s) of your set up so that we can see what you're referring to / working with.

Even if that mold were to get into the water, it would most likely be something that the shrimp could simply eat, not anything that would harm them. The growths you're waiting for in your water column will come. Just have to wait for it. Keep us updated...!
angelicajoy
Egg
Egg

Post by angelicajoy »

No issues since changing the lid! Can’t really see it in pic but there’s plenty of biofilm. My shrimp, mossball, and snails got here last week and all seem fine, my ecosphere shrimp are in there as well and everyone seems well. Didn’t check parameters or anything, just followed the instructions.

The shrimp from this site didn’t seem bothered at all when I poured the ecosphere shrimp in and then rustled around with tongs to get the stray hair algae chunks from the ecosphere out, just kept wandering around same as usual, lol.

My 5 gallon tank is to most the tanks posted here what a 6 year old’s crayon drawings are to Mona Lisa, but it definitely gets the job done :) my partner made me the “SHRIMP NOOK” sign lol. She has been very patient... this is all I’ve talked about for weeks! I got ecosphere as a gift a year ago and wanted to give them a better environment but could only find results from people using much more complex setups that if I tried (as someone with very little aquarium experience and a pretty small hobby budget) I thought I’d just end up killing them even faster than the sphere. Finally found this site and very much appreciated all the clear and detailed advice on how to keep them healthy without so much work! Such a relief to not feel like a neglectful mother every time I look at that damn sphere :shock:
Attachments
7606F43A-E9A0-4BD2-80B5-6299FBCEDCD0.jpeg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

I think your tank looks great! Your Shrimp Nook sign is brilliant, lol. Nice to have a supportive partner.

Occasionally I've found mold on my tank's lid, too, and it hasn't caused any problems. I just scrub it in the sink and pop it back on. Benign neglect FTW! :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

angelicajoy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:48 pm I got ecosphere as a gift a year ago and wanted to give them a better environment but could only find results from people using much more complex setups that if I tried (as someone with very little aquarium experience and a pretty small hobby budget) I thought I’d just end up killing them even faster than the sphere. Finally found this site and very much appreciated all the clear and detailed advice on how to keep them healthy without so much work! Such a relief to not feel like a neglectful mother every time I look at that damn sphere :shock:
Glad things are going well! Very colorful tank! :) Some people like to use "complex" setups because, for some reason, they refuse to believe the information on this website and the many successful members that are keeping and breeding these shrimp following the instructions here. People naturally tend to overthink and overdo things...

In any case, it would be great if you posted some updates over time (including pictures, video etc.)! :D
angelicajoy
Egg
Egg

Post by angelicajoy »

Will do!! There’s algae now. Trying very hard to be patient- I want babies!!! Got a super cheap macro lens but still fun... one of the shrimp climbed on top of a snail, creating a whole new species :wink:
Attachments
CD9E11BC-22BD-45C6-B691-8799BB68FC10.jpeg
534E97B9-B566-4ED1-92BF-0E243D474D8E.jpeg
E4AFD002-B24F-4FE0-A339-D84E184D08BD.jpeg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

It's a snimp! Or a shrail! Fun pics :mrgreen:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pics! :) How is your tank doing?
angelicajoy
Egg
Egg

Post by angelicajoy »

They all seem happy enough! Seeing a few saddles, no one is berried yet though. Hoping there will be babies someday, it would really reassure me they’re having a good time in there. I spend so much time watching them, it’s so relaxing! I swear they’re going to add years to my life lol...especially compared to the way I was stressing about the original 3 in their sphere.

I rarely see snails but with 10 in 5 gallons I guess that’s to be expected. The moss ball hasn’t done anything exciting yet- shrimp are definitely the star of the show lol. Still can’t get over how easy the setup was! I never tested parameters, haven’t bought a hydrometer yet, my lid is two $1 tiles from Home Depot taped together because the garage sale aquarium I got for $5 didn’t come with one, I used eggshells... couldn’t get much simpler and all still seems to be going well.
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

It looks great! If they're moving around, they're happy. Wait until you have so many you can't count them!!
20180228_200216[1].jpg
angelicajoy
Egg
Egg

Post by angelicajoy »

Haha, I literally dream of that day!! And wake up refreshed lol.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! Let us know when those saddled females start carrying eggs! :)