Setting up tank immediately ASAP possible?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Seiryshrimpie
Egg
Egg

Setting up tank immediately ASAP possible?

Post by Seiryshrimpie »

After 1 year of successfully transferring my 2 shrimps from my ecosphere to their tank, I lost 1 of my 2 shrimps yesterday due to the heater in my bedroom and I am devastated. The room got too hot for my little guy to handle :( I immediately did a water change. I am planning on ordering 10 from this site ASAP to accompany my lonely shrimp but have a few questions.

*First, the dead shrimp is still in the tank, might be a stupid question but I'm assuming I should take it out now and not just leave him in there, correct? I didn't take it out immediately because I didn't want to scare the living shrimp any further. Also when 3 died in the ecosphere, they vanished. So I'm not sure if i need to take him out.

*Second, I plan on ordering shrimps by tomorrow and plan on setting up a new home for them. I know these things take time, but due to the circumstances, I feel that I cannot wait for the new tank to cycle. Is it possible to move shrimps to a week old tank?
Please :(. I have 0 experience with all of this stuff, I only started this because I found ecosphere to be cruel after it was gifted to my mother. I have 0 clue what I'm doing here but I plan on checking my water, and have my distilled and salt ready.

Please, Thank you
Seiryshrimpie
Egg
Egg

Re: Setting up tank immediately ASAP possible?

Post by Seiryshrimpie »

UPDATE: I took the dead shrimp out.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Is there something wrong with the tank your 1 is currently in that the new ones you order can't stay in there until the tank is ready? If you're sure the one died because it overheated rather than any contaminants in the water, then the environment should be safe to let them hang out until the new tank is fully cycled. That would be my suggestion.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Indeed, if overheating was the issue then there needn't be any hurry.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

If you wanted to move the shrimp to a newly cycled tank here's how I would do it:
Set up the new tank. Take some water and as much hardscape and substrate as you can from the old tank and put it in the new one. Consider leaving the new tank outside where it can get plenty of sunlight and germs. Inside would probably work too. (I'd have put the dead shrimp in the new tank to help it cycle.)

Another option is to leave the new shrimp in the bag they come in for 2 weeks to a month while the new tank cycles on its own. (Open the bag of course, maybe put it in a bowl or empty the shrimp and bag water to another temporary location.) Put the remaining survivor in the bag with the new shrimp and transfer all the old tank contents to the new tank. Or not.

There have been posts here where people have left their new shrimp in the bag water for a month or two. More than enough time to get a new tank to cycle.
Seiryshrimpie
Egg
Egg

Post by Seiryshrimpie »

SuperProofer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:02 pm Is there something wrong with the tank your 1 is currently in that the new ones you order can't stay in there until the tank is ready? If you're sure the one died because it overheated rather than any contaminants in the water, then the environment should be safe to let them hang out until the new tank is fully cycled. That would be my suggestion.

My tank is too small for quantity of 11. Since I'm only able to order 10 minimum, i will have to upgrade the tank.
Seiryshrimpie
Egg
Egg

Post by Seiryshrimpie »

mike.d wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:04 pm If you wanted to move the shrimp to a newly cycled tank here's how I would do it:
Set up the new tank. Take some water and as much hardscape and substrate as you can from the old tank and put it in the new one. Consider leaving the new tank outside where it can get plenty of sunlight and germs. Inside would probably work too. (I'd have put the dead shrimp in the new tank to help it cycle.)

Another option is to leave the new shrimp in the bag they come in for 2 weeks to a month while the new tank cycles on its own. (Open the bag of course, maybe put it in a bowl or empty the shrimp and bag water to another temporary location.) Put the remaining survivor in the bag with the new shrimp and transfer all the old tank contents to the new tank. Or not.

There have been posts here where people have left their new shrimp in the bag water for a month or two. More than enough time to get a new tank to cycle.
Thank you so much for this info! This is exactly what I needed to know before ordering. I was worried the water they come in would not be enough but since others have done it, I will use the water they come in and place them in a larger temp tank until the new tank is ready.
THANK YOU AGAIN!!
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

You're very welcome. Let us know how it goes.

If there doesn't seem to be enough room for 11 shrimp in the bag water don't sweat it. It's only temporary. You can always mix up a gallon of brackish water and add a bit every day to the bag water for a few days.

As an FYI, I bought 60-65 shrimp from another seller. They came in a bag that I would estimate was 3/4 gallon. There was plenty of room for them in there. Even a sandwich bag amount of water should be enough for 11 shrimp for the few weeks that it will take your new tank to cycle. I wouldn't make that their permanent home, but it's not a problem if it's temporary.