Opae ula for Belgium

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Opae ula for Belgium

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Hi,
I want to start with opae ula. I've already read a lot, but I can't find Opae ula in Belgium. Anyone knows a supplier or someone who ships to Belgium?
I have found suppliers in US and UK but neither ship to Belgium...

Thanks in advance.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Opae ula for Belgium

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately, there are no breeders of these shrimp that can supply large numbers of shrimp in Europe that I am aware of.
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Don't need to be high quantities, of someone could provide me with 10 of them to start i am already happy😁
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Additional question, i want to start witj a 25L tank with 10-20 opae ula in order to breed up to 200. Is a 20L tank too big to start with 10-20 opae ula? More space is better i guess? I got some contradictory feedback concerning this...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's hard to find any of these shrimp in Europe, no matter what the quantity. Whatever you find will almost certainly be imported (most likely illegally caught) shrimp from the wild.

A 20 liter tank is not too large, they'll fill up the tank after a while. The larger the tank, the larger the surface area for biofilm to grow, so the less food you have to feed (and less frequently) when you start out with just a few shrimp.
Arnold
Larva
Larva

Post by Arnold »

I know opae ula are difficult to get in europe hehe, I almost expend a year searching for them until I got my 13 shrimps :x I think your better chances are germany or france, I dont know its allowed to post the pages if not I remove them mustafa:
[removed by moderator, especially since websites falsely claim to be offering captive-bred animals
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Thanks a lot!

Where did you buy them? They survived a long shipment?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I removed the links for two reasons...number one: We don't want this website to become a marketplace with mostly "looking for" and "offering shrimp" posts. Number two: The two websites in question offer shrimp that are from the wild while falsely claiming that they are captive-bred. May not be entirely their fault since the "breeder" in question in Hawaii has been making these false claims for years while living right next to a protected anchialine pool out of which he/she is poaching these animals and illegally exporting them. Just to make it clear, theare *no* breeders in Hawaii producing enough shrimp to sell.

By the way, at least one of these websites tried buying shrimp from Petshrimp a bit more than two years ago but thought it would be too expensive to *legally* send the shrimp to him (Germany). I told him about the fact that there are no breeders in Hawaii and warned him about the person/people making such false claims, but he obviously ignored the warning and went ahead with the false claim ("captive bred by breeder in Hawaii") for the sake of profits. Some people really have no ethics while claiming either ignorance or, worse, spreading lies.
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Thank you mustapha. Do you mind sending me this particular seller in pm? In that case at least I won't buy with him...