The 3 survivors of the shattered ecosphere

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ktha
Egg
Egg

The 3 survivors of the shattered ecosphere

Post by ktha »

About 24 hours ago, I accidentally knocked my 3-yr old ecosphere off my desk and onto the floor. It SHATTERED. Water everywhere, shrimp, gravel, cyanobacteria... etc. One shrimp died on impact, and I managed to find and pick the other 3 out of the carpet.

I found this site while frantically researching how to save my shrimp. Meanwhile, the 3 survivors were swimming in a vase filled with a roughly brackish combination sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, and calcium silicate in purified water. (I'm a geochemist, and had these things available). I was not hopeful for their prospects. However, to my surprise the shrimp survived not only through the night, but through the work day today as well! I followed the instructions on this site and set up a 0.5 gallon aquarium just this evening after a quick trip to petsmart (Used Reef salt, distilled water, gravel substrate). However, did not have time to cycle the aquarium due to the... err, emergency circumstances. They didn't seem well in their vase-o-random-salts, so I wanted to move them ASAP.

After about 2 hours in the new environment, one shrimp seems lethargic, and is settled down on the substrate, not moving unless prompted. I expect that one will likely die. The other two are swimming around, exploring their new environment, and seem alright... as of now.

Since you all have much more experience than me with this, what can I expect going forward? Do you think the shrimp will survive? If all 3 shrimp die, I will probably allow the tank to settle for a few weeks and then buy new ones from this site. Any tips for a recent ecosphere convert?
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: The 3 survivors of the shattered ecosphere

Post by Zlatan2601 »

My advise is keep reading this forum;-). A lot of usefull information is given! As your tank is not cycled i would think it's best to add some macroalgae, but I'll let the experts confirm this and give you more advise..
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Three (likely soon to be two) shrimp will produce so little waste that hopefully the tank being uncycled won't be an issue. Still, you could at some point add a tiny bit of water conditioner to detoxify ammonia and such.
ktha
Egg
Egg

Post by ktha »

Well, we're nearly 48 hours in and the third lil guy is still holding on. Swimming around a bit now, too. Maybe there's hope that all three survive!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome to Petshrimp! I'm glad the information here was helpful! :) If a shrimp is just sitting there and not swimming around it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. So, unless your shrimp is lying on its side or moving kinda weird, it will probably be fine. Too much swimming means the shrimp are bothered by something. These shrimp normally just pick at things and walk around most of the time, they don't swim a whole lot unless they have to.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

ktha wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:48 pm ...in a vase filled with a roughly brackish combination sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, and calcium silicate in purified water. (I'm a geochemist, and had these things available).
Sorry to hear that the ecosphere broke. And secondly, I'm glad you put your profession as an FYI lol :smt005

Good luck with cycling their new home!
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Except for the poor deceased one, in a way it was fortunate for your shrimp that you broke the ecosphere and sprung them from that little torture chamber!