High Res Pictures and movies of the lil' shrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

marianne
Larva
Larva

High Res Pictures and movies of the lil' shrimps

Post by marianne »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, but have been reading for a while, to install and keep my opae ula tank (a gift ecosphere was what got me started)
I'm combining my passion for macro photography with my opae ula hobby. My tank is 2.5g with around 13-20 shrimps (they've had babies so I've lost count honestly). Here is a movie I took yesterday. I find them mesmerizing : https://i.imgur.com/K00SFTR.mp4

I would be happy to find other people interested in close up / HR pictures, and exchange with them :)
Hope my English is good enough to carry the message well.
Attachments
A close up picture; this is just before the linked video was taken.
A close up picture; this is just before the linked video was taken.
SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Re: High Res Pictures and movies of the lil' shrimps

Post by SailorFromRI »

WOW! That video is stunning! Could u please share what equipment u are using to capture the video and pictures?
SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Post by SailorFromRI »

P.s. your English is perfect :D
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Hello SailorFromRI :smt006
I used an Olympus TG4. It's a very versatile camera with a great macro mode (and also can be immersed in water, I've done that in the sea but here it would scare the little criters too much).
I could add an other 10x lens but I think I'm already loosing a lot in depth of field :roll: , so that would probably not give good results. The light is extremely important for good focus, the one above my tank is sufficient in day mode. Hope that answers your question !
Aquarimax
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Aquarimax »

Great video! Very clear...and lovely shrimp!
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Waaw, that HQ is crazy!
SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Post by SailorFromRI »

marianne wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:54 am Hello SailorFromRI :smt006
I used an Olympus TG4. It's a very versatile camera with a great macro mode (and also can be immersed in water, I've done that in the sea but here it would scare the little criters too much).
I could add an other 10x lens but I think I'm already loosing a lot in depth of field :roll: , so that would probably not give good results. The light is extremely important for good focus, the one above my tank is sufficient in day mode. Hope that answers your question !
:smt006
Thanks Marianne. Very impressive results!
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

SailorFromRI wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 am :smt006
Thanks Marianne. Very impressive results!
Thank you ! Do you also try taking pictures of your small shrimps ?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

I love how the shrimp was scratching its back with a swimlet while foraging for food with it's claws. It's a multi-tasker!

I've thought about getting a 20x macro lens for my phone camera, but haven't committed to it. Since this is the only subject that I have in mind to shoot.
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

i<3Opae wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:19 pm I love how the shrimp was scratching its back with a swimlet while foraging for food with it's claws. It's a multi-tasker!

I've thought about getting a 20x macro lens for my phone camera, but haven't committed to it. Since this is the only subject that I have in mind to shoot.
Macro gives you access to details hard to imagine; I don't realize how good your setup would be but here is a short list of subjects I had with mine : pixels on screens, gift paper or bolduc also gives amazing details and colors, people's irises (I kid you not, this is how I started ... people around me are so patient...), velcro, other animals, inks (when they spread/absorb on surfaces, or dilute in water, it's beautiful). Also way harder : snow flakes.

The only caveat I would have is the light : does the 20x lens you're thinking about give also light (usually through LED ring around the border of the lense) ? If not, this is probably not good for all macro, but more for zooming on objects from far away. You can look at the minimal focal distance in the specs, to check if this is real macro. On an other hand, for exemple my movie was possible without close up light thanks to the tank light. But that does reduce the possible subjets. I guess it depends on how expensive the 20x lens is :wink:
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

i<3Opae wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:19 pm I love how the shrimp was scratching its back with a swimlet while foraging for food with it's claws. It's a multi-tasker!

As for the scratching themselves, they do it a lot. It seems they want their shell constantly perfectly clean from head to tail ! I took a video of that, you can see how they clean it and can reach up to the tail with theirlegs by some cirque-du-soleil move :lol: https://i.imgur.com/cxYEOqT.mp4
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Your macro vids are great! It's so fun to see all the tiny details we'd normally miss. Keep 'em coming, please :-D
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thanks for the great info!!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the great close up video! :)
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Thank you for your encouragements :D (I would be even happier if people have tips and story about how to take pictures:movies, don't hesitate :smt006 ) I took advantage of an order for setting up a friend's new tank to sneak in snails for my tank... and I've spent waaay too much time to look at them closer. They are quite different from one another.
One of them has green small dots that I especially like (destroying all hopes any algea could have to invade the tank) :
https://imgur.com/a/O0IIRC1
This one is darker, but I caught it eating when on white rocks, so you can see its eyes and "trunk" ! :lol:
https://imgur.com/a/LNVZTri
Attachments
P2230017.JPG
P2220028.JPG