Yellow Opae Ula

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

marianne
Larva
Larva

Yellow Opae Ula

Post by marianne »

Hi all,
I just found a yellow shrimp (!) :shock:
I suspect it to be a transparent shrimp eating one the yellow-ish algea I can spot in a few places of my tank. It's not enterely clear to me why the translucent ones eating green algea arn't enterely green, with the same logic. I can only imagine the yellow pigment is smaller/gets out of the digestive track more easily and/or is less easily degraded so has more time to diffuse in the shrimp.
Now there is also a small chance it's a bad sign, so I just pray none of you will tell me it's a deadly disease :-|
close up
close up
P3290033.JPG
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Yellow Opae Ula

Post by sliphorn »

-----

Love the yellow! Let's hope it stays that way.

====
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

That's so cool! I've seen posts by Mustafa where he has shown some of his different colored shrimp, like orange, yellow, blue, pure white. His stock gets some colored "mutants." They are fine -- just a different hue.
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Ula Hula wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 am That's so cool! I've seen posts by Mustafa where he has shown some of his different colored shrimp, like orange, yellow, blue, pure white. His stock gets some colored "mutants." They are fine -- just a different hue.
Oh, thanks for the info ! I found the posts after reading you... That's really intriguing, because I can still see little red:pink dots of pigments on the shell; the yellow looks like it's within the shrimp.
Anyway, That's really great I didn't know it could be their normal phenotype. Always thought they were white to red and that's it. Thanks :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! :) Is your yellow one still around? And just for the record, I have never seen a blue one (in reference to a comment above).
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Mustafa wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:51 pm Awesome! :) Is your yellow one still around?
Hi Mustafa,
Well, I'm not sure it is always the same, and it doesn't always have this bright yellow, but every few days I spot a one or two opae with this yellowish color.
I was able to take a picture of one that have almost no red spots, making the yellow more visible. I'm very curious about your project on yellow/orange shrimps, I've seen the recent post about it, it's exciting ! I think the yellow color is not due to a pigment on their shell or close to surface, but rather something inside.
P6170051.JPG
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

A couple of the ones I got from Mustafa are pure white and always stay that way.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

marianne wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:20 pm
Mustafa wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:51 pm Awesome! :) Is your yellow one still around?
Hi Mustafa,
Well, I'm not sure it is always the same, and it doesn't always have this bright yellow, but every few days I spot a one or two opae with this yellowish color.
I was able to take a picture of one that have almost no red spots, making the yellow more visible. I'm very curious about your project on yellow/orange shrimps, I've seen the recent post about it, it's exciting ! I think the yellow color is not due to a pigment on their shell or close to surface, but rather something inside.
P6170051.JPG
Thanks for the picture! That shrimp has a bit of a red hue, so it's a normal colored shrimp that just temporarily ("temporary" can mean days, weeks or even months) lost its red coloration. The "mutated" yellow/orange shrimp don't have any red whatsoever.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Dch48 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 am A couple of the ones I got from Mustafa are pure white and always stay that way.
They may still turn red down the line. I have told this story before, but in my search for the mutant white shrimp with the blue-green eggs in my tanks I had isolated what looked like completely white shrimp but they all turned red after a few weeks or months...some really, really dark red.
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Mustafa wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:48 am
marianne wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:20 pm
Hi Mustafa,
P6170051.JPG
Thanks for the picture! That shrimp has a bit of a red hue, so it's a normal colored shrimp that just temporarily ("temporary" can mean days, weeks or even months) lost its red coloration. The "mutated" yellow/orange shrimp don't have any red whatsoever.
Hi Mustafa,
All the shrimp (or at least all I could observe long enough and with enough zoom) I have displaying a yellow color have a few red spots at least. You can see them in them in the very first picture of this topic too.
That's why I was hesitant to place it at a phenotypic level same as "white" or "red". Yet, after several month, they are still around. 2-3 "yellow" shrimps. The phenotype I observe is probably different from the yellow ones you have, despite a close color (yours will probably have a way nicer/stronger yellow !). I thought about isolating mine to have a final word (observing them, separated from others, for months, to see the stability of the color), but I'm afraid it'll be bad for them as the only other tank I have is small and freshly cycled.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Marianne,

How are your yellow shrimp doing? Did they keep their coloration? Have you tried isolating them for selective breeding?
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Hello Mustafa.

No, I haven't, after much reflexion. I'm only in the US for a few years, and I already get anxious about what I'll do with my tank when I go back to Europe. Additionally, I live in a very expensive city and don't have much room. For me to try to breed them, I would have to start a new tank of more than 1-2 gal (I tried to cycle a small one but it never reached stability as the bigger one did). So I dropped the idea.

I only see two of them, from time to time, now. But they are still here and seem to do well :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks Marianne, it's totally understandable. :)