Starting the opae journey!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Starting the opae journey!

Post by MrsDebLo »

Hi! So excited to be here! I’ve been enjoying all your posts and pictures. Looking forward to adding shrimp.

I have a 5 gallon tank that I started on Monday May 13th. I used reef crystals. My salinity is 1.010, I have decorative aquarium substrate with some crushed coral. A “faux” plant :D, a lava rock, and LED light that I’ve been running 24/7. I’m planning on switching to 12 hours on 12 off tonight. I have a Mustafa Mossball, and algae ball. I added Fluval bio start for salt/fresh on day one, and a little each day after. I’m not going to add anymore. I hope it didn’t mess up anything. I started asking questions at the pet store, and I shouldn’t have. He almost had me convinced to use shrimp substrate.

What do you think? Any input is welcome and appreciated!

P.S. The wait is tough! :lol:
DB3203D3-FEC9-4C69-B207-E4A6018A79A0.jpeg
FC5A58D6-3F23-4D0B-9165-06B69F5BFDC6.jpeg
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Starting the opae journey!

Post by sliphorn »

----

Hi and welcome to Opae Ula keeping. The tank looks nice! It looks like there is a filter, if so, it isn't required and the shrimp would be sucked in to the system. Even if the filter is not running I would find a way to block off the inlet and outlet because the shrimp will go in the filter area and you will not see them much. For the inlet you could use an aquarium sponge such as Poret filter foam and the outlet you could use some silicone sealant.

----
MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Post by MrsDebLo »

Hi Sliphorn!

I totally forgot about the output!!! :shock: Wow........how much horror did you save me?!!! Thank you! Thank you!

I’m wondering if I should run the light 24/7 until I receive the snails? Will it hurt anything?

Thank you for taking the time!

Debbie
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

MrsDebLo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 am Hi Sliphorn!

I totally forgot about the output!!! :shock: Wow........how much horror did you save me?!!! Thank you! Thank you!

I’m wondering if I should run the light 24/7 until I receive the snails? Will it hurt anything?

Thank you for taking the time!

Debbie
======

You're welcome. 24/7 will not harm anything until your livestock arrives. Just so I understand. The filter is not running and you have blocked off the inlet and will now block the outlet?

--------
MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Post by MrsDebLo »

Correct, the filter is not running. I have blocked off the intake, and thanks to you I’m going to block the output. I can’t believe the output never even crossed my mind. :shock:

Mustafa was right when he said you guys would be able to help me!!
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

MrsDebLo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:47 pm Correct, the filter is not running. I have blocked off the intake, and thanks to you I’m going to block the output. I can’t believe the output never even crossed my mind. :shock:

Mustafa was right when he said you guys would be able to help me!!
======

It sounds like you are well on your way to Opae Ula madness! Congratulations and I wish you much success.

--------
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

I'm not sure if the 24/7 light is a good idea. I remember reading someplace that plants, algae, and bacteria need a day/night cycle to replenish and grow properly. If you continue the 24/7, I'd be interested in hearing how it works.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

The wait is definitely tough. I'm still waiting for my cycle to finish. I still have Nitrites but the Ammonia is gone so it should finish soon. There is some brown algae and the macro algae sometimes pearls and floats. It's been somewhere between 3 weeks and a month since the brackish water went in.
MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Post by MrsDebLo »

mike.d wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 pm I'm not sure if the 24/7 light is a good idea. I remember reading someplace that plants, algae, and bacteria need a day/night cycle to replenish and grow properly. If you continue the 24/7, I'd be interested in hearing how it works.
Hi Mike,

I got scared and switched to 12 on 12 off. :lol: I'm just trying to rush, and nothing good comes from that :oops:

Thank you for taking the time to post!

Debbie
MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Post by MrsDebLo »

Dch48 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 am The wait is definitely tough. I'm still waiting for my cycle to finish. I still have Nitrites but the Ammonia is gone so it should finish soon. There is some brown algae and the macro algae sometimes pearls and floats. It's been somewhere between 3 weeks and a month since the brackish water went in.
Hi Dch48,

Oh the wait! Me no like. :lol: It sounds like your tank is coming along! I bet you are right, not much longer. You seem to be doing everything the right way. I haven't been testing my water. I think I will get a kit from Amazon and start testing. At least it gives me something to do.

Thanks for the info, and sending you lucky shrimp vibes!

Debbie
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

mike.d wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 pm I'm not sure if the 24/7 light is a good idea. I remember reading someplace that plants, algae, and bacteria need a day/night cycle to replenish and grow properly. If you continue the 24/7, I'd be interested in hearing how it works.
=======

Have you ever been to the land(s) of the midnight sun? I've spent plenty of time in Finland, Denmark, and Sweden where the sun shines 24/7 during the summer months and lemme tell ya, plants grow incredibly well there. In fact, the produce is amazing.

I start many veggies from seed and always use 24/7 lighting until I set them outdoors to harden them off. It's common practice for many seed starting folks to do this.

So I think leaving the lights on 24/7 until her livestock arrives will have no ill effect. Then, of course, 12/12.

----------
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

My shrimp are on the way :D . Here's hoping everything goes well.
03amida
Larva
Larva

Post by 03amida »

:smt006 Welcome MrsDebLo! I hope having the Mustafa mossball and algae hastens the cycling. I ended up waiting 6 weeks for my tank to cycle.

5 gallons is a decent size tank. How many shrimp are you planning on starting with? Are you getting snails?
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Thanks for the correction sliphorn. I had forgotten about that.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

My shrimp are in and doing well. They were very pale on arrival but are already coloring up after only 3 days.
Opae2.jpg
Opae.jpg