Salinity level

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Salinity level

Post by Dch48 »

I have recently read that Opaes can be kept successfully in completely fresh water and in full strength sea water if properly acclimated. My suspicion is that they might live in fresh water but they will not successfully reproduce. Anyone have thoughts on this?
DrKirk
Larva
Larva

Re: Salinity level

Post by DrKirk »

This study (https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Ecosystem) indicates that larval development requires higher salinity than surface waters in pools:
“Thus, early life stages of H. rubra are apparently excluded from surface waters, which are characterized by lower and fluctuating salinities. Instead, these stages are restricted to the subterranean (where there is higher and more stable salinity) portion of Hawaii's anchialine habitats due to their inability to tolerate low salinities. Taken together, these data contribute to the understudied area of larval ecology in the anchialine ecosystem.”
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Pretty much like I thought. The larvae need the salinity.
ryangiggs
Larva
Larva

Post by ryangiggs »

i read that article as well... so sometimes i wonder whether the shrimps can be triggered to breed if there is a slightly increase in salinity... maybe during water top to replace evaporation... instead of topping freshwater... can top off with slightly brackish water...

just like some freshwater fish... some fishes will spawn after water change or sudden drop in water temperature to simulate raining season... maybe these shrimps can be tricked into spawning as well?
DrKirk
Larva
Larva

Post by DrKirk »

Salinity in my two-gallon jar is kept at about 1.0143 (19 ppt). It was initially populated with 40 individuals 2.5 years ago and reproduction began about three months later, and has continued regularly ever since.