Tank maintenance

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Tank maintenance

Post by Dch48 »

The water in my tank was seeming to get a little more cloudy every day. Then I realized it was algae/biofilm buildup on the glass (plexiglass actually). Since plexiglass scratches if you just look at it too hard, I didn't know how to clean the front. A little research gave me the answer. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does the job perfectly and does not scratch the plexi. You have to get the original version since it is the only one that does not have soaps or other chemicals in it. I rinse it out good in some old tank water before using it just to be safe. Now I can see my shrimp a lot better and they are none the worse for wear.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Tank maintenance

Post by Vorteil »

But what happens to all the particles that rub away from Mr. Earser? Goes right back into your tank. If it were me I wouldn't use it.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

What particles? Nothing comes off the sponge pad. If some algae goes back, so much the better. It's just a very fine sponge pad.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

It's melamine foam, which is very mildly abrasive. Tiny bits will end up in your tank, but melamine materials are generally safe, at least for people, and won't leach unless they're heated or are in an acidic environment. Not sure about the shrimp. I guess we'll find out.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I've used it twice now and haven't seen any particles in the tank. There have been no ill effects on the shrimp.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Personally I would not take a chance.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

They would be microscopic as the foam structure collapses.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

It seems like there would be a more recommended way of cleaning algae off of plexiglass.

I have an acrylic tank and we've cleaned that glass with an acrylic safe pad we bought from the local Petco/Smart. A quick Google says plexiglass is harder than acrylic.

Sitll, I won't argue with success. Thanks for the tip.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

The tank actually is acrylic. I don't know why I said plexiglass. Plexiglass is a form of acrylic though, just more refined. The tank is a one gallon PetSmart model called the Excite. I turned it back to front because what is supposed to be the front is pointed while the back (now the front) is flat and provides a better view. I like the way the sides go back to the point at the back. It allows my lava rock cave to fit perfectly. It does scratch easily though as I found when my tweezers accidentally made contact. PetSmart describes it as being plastic.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

mike.d wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:06 am It seems like there would be a more recommended way of cleaning algae off of plexiglass.

I have an acrylic tank and we've cleaned that glass with an acrylic safe pad we bought from the local Petco/Smart. A quick Google says plexiglass is harder than acrylic.

Sitll, I won't argue with success. Thanks for the tip.
I looked up that acrylic safe pad and it looks exactly like the Magic Eraser.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

What about a silicone dish sponge? Are the any chemical concerns with those.? If not, I would think they could do the job without scratching.
ryangiggs
Larva
Larva

Post by ryangiggs »

if it is algae or biofilm on the glass... a couple of horned nerite snails will clean up the glass sparkling clean in a few days... i always keep horned nerite snails in all of my tank to keep the glass clean and clear... you can find horn nerite snails in freshwater fish shops... they are perfectly fine in brackish water as well...

if there is too much algae... perhaps you can reduce the lighting as well...
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I have a single Horned Nerite in there but he has been busy on the gravel and glass right at substrate level. He has not climbed the glass at all.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Keep in mind that if there are microscopic particles the shrimp can eat those too since they do filter feed as well.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As others have mentioned, those magic erasers do get "used up" over time and release particles into the water. That's just how they are designed to work. Not sure how water soluble the material is, but it will build up in your tank over months and years. I would not take the risk.