We have berries

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

We have berries

Post by Dch48 »

I went to turn off the light on the tank and noticed a dark area in the rear section of a shrimp that was grazing on the front glass. I watched that shrimp until I got a side view and---- she clearly has a mass of eggs. I never expected it so soon. I couldn't get a picture because she moved behind the lava rock cave.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: We have berries

Post by Dch48 »

Well, it seems that the eggs have been lost. She only had like 5 of them but now I don't see any shrimp with berries. I can't even tell which one it was that had them. We had a heat wave here that put temps up over 90 for a couple of days. We have no a/c so it got up to 90 in the house as well. There is no thermometer in the Opae tank but judging by the ones in my other 2 fresh water tanks, it probably went as high as 86 after being at like 76 before that. Maybe that's why the eggs were dropped. I had a Neocaridina shrimp with eggs too and she also lost them at the same time as the Opae did.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: We have berries

Post by Varanus »

Perhaps, but its also pretty common for first time super shrimp moms to drop all or most of their eggs. I don't think anyone really knows why, though it could be a maturity-related thing.