Newbie introduction

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Wippy
Egg
Egg

Newbie introduction

Post by Wippy »

Hello everyone. I have been looking at the sealed ecospheres for a number of years, but never purchased one. I got a bonus from work and decided to setup another aquarium. A 10 gallon aquarium with a water volume of 7 gallons after the crushed coral substrate and lava rock were added to the aquarium. have done a bit of research and have the aquarium setup. Cant wait for the aquarium to cycle and grow some algae so i can get some shrimp.
Attachments
20191015_173654.jpg
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Newbie introduction

Post by Dch48 »

That looks like a very good environment for the shrimp. I saw a piece where it said you could have 48 Opae's per gallon so you could have about 350 in there.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Great set up, they're going to love it! I really like that big rock in the right corner. How many shrimp will you order? :-D
Wippy
Egg
Egg

Post by Wippy »

Not sure how many i will start with. Someone in my aquarium society is selling me some from his aquarium as it will most likely be too cold to ship when my aquarium is ready. I may order more in the spring if i want more to get it going faster.
Wippy
Egg
Egg

Post by Wippy »

The snails, moss balls and algae have arrived. Great packing!! Still warm enough for the little snails to still be attached to the bag moving around.
Attachments
15714166459594840518279373982118.jpg
roygbiv
Larva
Larva

Post by roygbiv »

Cool! Thanks for sharing the photo. I'm expecting my package any day now!
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

I agree, Mustafa's packing is very good. It's cool they arrived already! It's nice to have something to look at while waiting for the tank to be ready for shrimp. The snails will probably disappear into the substrate for a while, but mine tend to come up at night.
Wippy
Egg
Egg

Post by Wippy »

Im so glad i decided to get opae Ula shrimp. I really like the activity level of this shrimp. Swimming and crawling all the time. The algae has grown a lot and is starting to spread around the aquarium. The moss ball is still being a moss ball. I know i have at least one of the snails still alive. For some reason 5 never moved again once i put them in the aquarium. I was given another algae that is fine and olive green when i got my shrimp. Its a nice color contrast to Mustafa's algae. Now lets see if i can get them to start breeding.
Attachments
15774080705651346009792222230983.jpg
20191226_183402.jpg
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Wippy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:04 pm Im so glad i decided to get opae Ula shrimp. I really like the activity level of this shrimp. Swimming and crawling all the time. The algae has grown a lot and is starting to spread around the aquarium. The moss ball is still being a moss ball. I know i have at least one of the snails still alive. For some reason 5 never moved again once i put them in the aquarium. I was given another algae that is fine and olive green when i got my shrimp. Its a nice color contrast to Mustafa's algae. Now lets see if i can get them to start breeding.
Nice tank setup! As for your snails, they’ll go into hiding and reappear randomly later on. This happened to me too where they showed up like 6 months later after borrowing in the substrate.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That olive green algae you got is some type of hair/string algae. It seems to be spreading to your rocks already. It's a pain in the behind once it takes over and very hard to remove without the shrimp getting stuck in it. I would get rid of it as soon as possible. Many forum members can report how much of a horror it was for them to remove their hair algae.