Setup suggestions needed for newbie

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Setup suggestions needed for newbie

Post by Mustafa »

This is a great opportunity to remind people to read this:

https://www.petshrimp.com/beware-of-so- ... er-plants/

Having said that, I would love to find more types of plants to keep in our tanks, but it's simply not that easy to find a plant that is ok with the conditions in Supershrimp tanks. The biggest hurdle is salinity, but there are more things such as an ability to persist on very low levels of nutrients (or no nutrients for a while) and low levels fo light for example.
pelletube
Egg
Egg

Post by pelletube »

Dead plants from Beach
Dead plants from Beach
Hi all, thanks so much for the comments during my journey for almost nearly three-month. So far, all 10 shrimp and ~10 snails (plus some baby snails) seems fine.

I got some seashells and rocks rom the beaches, that might have eventually helped with the algae growth. Can see some small green dots everywhere, I think this is a good sign of green algae.

As for larger algae, I think they are green, but might easily be brown. Not so sure. Any advice?

Also, does anyone have any comments re: adding the dead beach plants I gathered from the beaches? (See attached picture). I think would provide more playground for the shrimp, but just want to make sure these two types of dead plants would not pollute the shrimp tank. Thank you!
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

pelletube wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 pm 59A1D7E1-A34F-486A-8D10-FD04051C4D33.jpegHi all, thanks so much for the comments during my journey for almost nearly three-month. So far, all 10 shrimp and ~10 snails (plus some baby snails) seems fine.

I got some seashells and rocks rom the beaches, that might have eventually helped with the algae growth. Can see some small green dots everywhere, I think this is a good sign of green algae.

As for larger algae, I think they are green, but might easily be brown. Not so sure. Any advice?

Also, does anyone have any comments re: adding the dead beach plants I gathered from the beaches? (See attached picture). I think would provide more playground for the shrimp, but just want to make sure these two types of dead plants would not pollute the shrimp tank. Thank you!
Leave the plants out. They will create a mess.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Those don't look like plants to me. They look like forms of sea fan and should be fine if you make sure they are free of any dead coral tissue.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Dch48 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:24 am Those don't look like plants to me. They look like forms of sea fan and should be fine if you make sure they are free of any dead coral tissue.
You are right, I should have looked closer.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Just some into. Over time the black sea fan will turn to a light tan color due to the opae grazing on it. This is what happened to mine. No issues with it.
Flanker27S
Egg
Egg

Post by Flanker27S »

Yes, these don't look like regular plants at all, I thought they were made of black plastic at first... So, no problem with these, it'll give your shrimps places to play in.
pelletube
Egg
Egg

Post by pelletube »

Thank you everyone for the comments! I placed the sea fan in so far. The shrimp seem to like it!

I will place the Gorgonia/branch inside soon.

I was wondering any suggestions how to lower down the algae growing on the surface of the glass jar? should I use some of those magnet algae scrubber? remove the algae manually (e.g. using a straw)? or other method? (I have about 10 snails (plus babies) that I ordered from petshrimp, but there seem to still be lots of algae (a lot of spots on the glass surface).

Also, is there any specific water level to fill up the jar? (right now, I have about half an inch of space between the water surface and the jar cap (with small hole).

Thank you again everyone!
pelletube
Egg
Egg

Post by pelletube »

How do we know whether algae are green vs brown?

I was wondering any suggestions how to lower down the algae growing on the surface of the glass jar? should I use some of those magnet algae scrubber? remove the algae manually (e.g. using a straw)? or other method? (I have about 10 snails (plus babies) that I ordered from petshrimp, but there seem to still be lots of algae (a lot of spots on the glass surface).
ryangiggs
Larva
Larva

Post by ryangiggs »

pelletube wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:46 pm How do we know whether algae are green vs brown?

those snails from petshrimp does not clean algae off the glass very well... u will need nerite snails to clean those glass surface... in fact 1 nerite snail will be enough... confirm your glass clean in a few days...

i would advice you to get those horned nerite snail instead of the normal nerite ones... the horned nerite snails are much smaller in size and in my opinion more hardworking and beautiful...
pelletube
Egg
Egg

Post by pelletube »

Thanks ryangiggs
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

ryangiggs wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm
pelletube wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:46 pm How do we know whether algae are green vs brown?

those snails from petshrimp does not clean algae off the glass very well... u will need nerite snails to clean those glass surface... in fact 1 nerite snail will be enough... confirm your glass clean in a few days...

i would advice you to get those horned nerite snail instead of the normal nerite ones... the horned nerite snails are much smaller in size and in my opinion more hardworking and beautiful...
Agree about the Horned Nerite. I have one in my one gallon tank that now has about 20 shrimp. I really have no visible algae except for the macro stuff that is slowly growing. I do get a coating of slime on the glass that is pretty easy to wipe off and I frequently see zig-zag snail tracks through it. The shrimp are constantly grazing on it as well. I only wipe off the front glass when my view gets obstructed too much.

The tank has now been up and running for 8 months and I have had one small batch of floaters and now have 2 berried females who have about a dozen eggs apiece. My shrimp still do not stay red all the time though. They keep changing and a couple are never anything but white.
pelletube
Egg
Egg

Post by pelletube »

Thanks for the info.

May I ask where did you buy the horned nerite snails? Are they self-maintenance (lifespan and breeding), what’s the size?

Thanks!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I got mine at PetSmart. They don't breed much and not at all in freshwater. You may get them to breed in brackish. They live about a year or so and get slightly bigger than a pea. Other Nerites get larger.
Horny.jpg
pelletube
Egg
Egg

Post by pelletube »

Thanks so much, Dch48! Will look into horned nerite snails!