Heater

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Heater

Post by Nellyville41 »

Now I know the instructions says no heater is needed but I have a question in regards to it. Reason I’m asking is cause the winter months my tank has been hovering below 55 degrees. My house is cold and during the day it won’t get any higher. The shrimps just chill along the top of the water and the snails are dormant. I’m assuming they’re up there cause it’s warmer. Can I throw in a heater to make it a constant for them like 70 degrees? Thanks
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Heater

Post by sliphorn »

Nellyville41 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:43 am Now I know the instructions says no heater is needed but I have a question in regards to it. Reason I’m asking is cause the winter months my tank has been hovering below 55 degrees. My house is cold and during the day it won’t get any higher. The shrimps just chill along the top of the water and the snails are dormant. I’m assuming they’re up there cause it’s warmer. Can I throw in a heater to make it a constant for them like 70 degrees? Thanks
How many gallons is your tank? They can handle 55 degrees but prefer low to mid 70's. Sometimes heaters fail and end up killing the tanks inhabitants because it gets way too hot.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

My tank is 3 gallons.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Nellyville41 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 am My tank is 3 gallons.
I believe there are 10 watt pre-set heaters for small tanks like yours. They are set typically to bring the temp to somewhere around 75 degrees and hold it there. I would look for something like that if you want to use a heater.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

sliphorn wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:02 pm
Nellyville41 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 am My tank is 3 gallons.
I believe there are 10 watt pre-set heaters for small tanks like yours. They are set typically to bring the temp to somewhere around 75 degrees and hold it there. I would look for something like that if you want to use a heater.
Aqueon makes a 10 watt mini pre-set heater come to think of it. It is small and relatively unobtrusive.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Thanks! I’ll look into it.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

So I got my heater yesterday. I rinsed it to clean it and put it in the tank to get acclimated. Then this morning I turned on the heater. After about 20 mins, most of the shrimps swam around it I guess cause it was warming up. Went out to eat and what not and by the time I came back the tank was up to around 75 degrees. It’s automatic to kick on and off and keep it from 75 to 82 ish. So far so good.