Moving Shrimp?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

nightsmusic
Egg
Egg

Moving Shrimp?

Post by nightsmusic »

I had an Ecosphere that I realized was not a good way to have shrimp so I freed the two that were left into a one quart jar that I'd set up with substrate and other accoutrements that I'd read about here. Well, after a year of being free, they're thriving and, once freed, reproduced! I now have a lot of little Opae Ula in that little jar. I have a three gallon tank I'd like to move them into. I know how to set up the tank and leave it sit, that's not a problem. My problem is, how do I move them now? Does anyone have any ideas short of sticking their current home into the new tank? I'm not sure the new tank will be tall enough to cover their current home so they can just swim out.

I don't want to crush them by dumping the jar out, but I don't see another way. Any ideas?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Moving Shrimp?

Post by Super Jess »

Turkey baster! Gently, though. I've also had luck using a baking tablespoon to capture them.
nightsmusic
Egg
Egg

Post by nightsmusic »

Brilliant! Thank you!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Personally, I would never use a turkey baster. A small strainer or even a small aquarium net would be better in my opinion. Or you could turn the container they're in on it's side and gently pour or let them swim out.
nightsmusic
Egg
Egg

Post by nightsmusic »

Well, I had to order a turkey baster because I don't have one. I don't know that the container they're in will fit inside the new tank other than standing up. Also, I used Carib for the base and I just don't want to crush any of them under it. I can't move them until the new tank cycles through anyway and that will be a couple weeks, but I'm just trying to figure out what's best. The other thing is, they keep reproducing! The babies are so teeny I don't want to miss any.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Dch48 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:36 am A small strainer or even a small aquarium net would be better in my opinion.
Net would be preferable if you have enough room to maneuver. I've had good results with the baster, though I did cut the tip to make the opening a bit larger so the shrimp didn't get hurt. Also used *very* gentle suction, but the suction was key for capture. I agree self-swim is ideal, when possible.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

If you have (or can get) a long-handled measuring spoon, that could work. Just may take some patience as you try to scoop them up. If you take some of the water out of the original tank it might make it easier by confining them to a smaller area. This is how I got my shrimp into their jar tank as it had a very narrow opening on top.
nightsmusic
Egg
Egg

Post by nightsmusic »

SuperProofer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:25 pm If you have (or can get) a long-handled measuring spoon, that could work. Just may take some patience as you try to scoop them up. If you take some of the water out of the original tank it might make it easier by confining them to a smaller area. This is how I got my shrimp into their jar tank as it had a very narrow opening on top.
The one they're in now has a narrow top and I can't get a net in there. Already tried before I posted :/ I've got the new set up cleaned out and ready. I was buying my brackish water from the local aquarium shop, but since they're closed, I may have to wait awhile now before I can finish everything. I'm not sure I want to try making my own.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Making your own water is really easy. Just follow the instructions on this site for the proper proportions. Use distilled or R/O water and you'll be fine.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

You put 4 level tablespoons of a good brand sea salt like Instant Ocean in a gallon of distilled water and you're good to go.
nightsmusic
Egg
Egg

Post by nightsmusic »

Dch48 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:06 am You put 4 level tablespoons of a good brand sea salt like Instant Ocean in a gallon of distilled water and you're good to go.
Don't you let it perk for a couple weeks first? Even when I bring the brackish water home from my local shop, I let it sit for at least a week.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

No need for that. It can be used right away.
nightsmusic
Egg
Egg

Post by nightsmusic »

@Dch48, thanks! I'll have to try that then if I can ever get any from the store. I only have one gallon and it's a three gallon tank. That's another thing I wanted to take care of until Gov. Whitless decided we can't have more than 5 people per 1000 square feet in a store at one time... *sigh* I do have a lot of spring water, but won't be using that.

Sorry, just very frustrated.
nightsmusic
Egg
Egg

Post by nightsmusic »

I thought I'd come back and report.

I made new water using distilled and the ocean salt (I ended up with a 50 gallon bag!) and I did let it sit for a day or two. I then scooped up my shrimp with a net and moved them into the new tank that has shells, grass, a barnacle and a couple marimo balls so they would have a very similar environment. Well, I lost all but three. :( I don't know why, but the three I still have seem to be thriving. It's been a month.

I'm thinking about getting a snail, only one, since it's a one gallon jar. Anyone have any ideas? I'd have put my nerite in there but after 4-1/2 years, he was failing, poor little guy. He wasn't staying on the glass and would fall off and wasn't eating well anymore. He died yesterday. :(

I ordered more shrimp here and was looking at the snails, but there's no way I could support 10 in such a small environment. Beyond that, I'm really hoping I don't lose anymore shrimp.

Are there other shrimp that do well in brackish water? I can read all the Google stuff, but this is the community to ask in. Google isn't always...right.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Re:snails. I ordered the snails here and thought I'd be clever and just put one in with the shrimp and the rest in a separate tank. Turns out, they can asexually reproduce. There are quite a few in the shrimp tank now. :oops: