Our Petshrimp Project

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

happy
Egg
Egg

Our Petshrimp Project

Post by happy »

I started this project with my 5 year old son. Hoping he could learn and take these shrimps to college with him someday :)
I purchased all my supplies from petshrimp.com except for the jars were from Amazon. We have cycled the water for 4 weeks now and still no sign of any algae. Should we wait another week or so before purchasing the shrimps?
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Our Petshrimp Project

Post by Varanus »

How much water do the jars hold? How tightly sealed are the tops? Having the tops off for a while may help in algae spores colonizing the water.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

Its the anchor hocking montana jar 1.5 gallon. There's a small hole at the top of the lid. I have 1 gallon of water in there. But it looks like there's something weird floating at the top of the water.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I would fill the jar more. You could fill to about an inch from the lid.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

Thanks. I just added more distilled water.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

happy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:58 am Its the anchor hocking montana jar 1.5 gallon. There's a small hole at the top of the lid. I have 1 gallon of water in there. But it looks like there's something weird floating at the top of the water.
That is bio film. The shrimp and snails eat it. Not to worry.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

happy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:51 am Thanks. I just added more distilled water.
You want to add more brackish water to raise the level, not distilled. Adding distilled will lower the salinity. Distilled is used for topping off from evaporation loss.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Yes it needs to be distilled water with a good ocean salt added. I can say that if you use Instant Ocean, the amount of salt needed is 2 ounces or 4 level tablespoons to a gallon of distilled water. That makes brackish water that is half the salinity of sea water.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

I forgot to mention when I started the tank, I believe I've added salt for a 2 gallon tank but it is only a 1.5 gallon. I didn't have enough distill water at the time. Yesterday, I was able to purchase distill water and then added more to the tank. I hope this will work!

Thank you for all!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi happy,

Your tank should be more than ready by now for shrimp. I say, go ahead and get your shrimp. :) Since you bought your substate, calcium carbonate, and decoration from here, there should not be any issues with anything leaching in the the water either.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

Your shrimps and snails have arrived. They are happily swimming in their new home. I fed them a tiny amount of fish flake food and now the water is a bit cloudy. Should I change the water? What food should I feed them and how often?

Indeed this is a fun project for us and my son is looking forward to seeing some berried shrimps soon!
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Post by JDillon »

I wouldn’t change the water it will clear up on its own. Also water can get cloudy after you add new shrimp, snails and water from other tanks. It will usually go away after a week or two. The fish flakes are not the best food. Use spiralina powder. A tiny amount about 1/3 of a grain of rice. Once every week or two until you get a good amount of algae / bio film established. Then a once a month feeding is good. Others choose not to at all. They are hardy but an occasional feeding seems to help them.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

Thank you for your advice! I will buy spiralina powder.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

I fed the shrimps a a quarter portion of the algae sinking tablet and tiny bit of spirulina powder yesterday. This morning my shrimp color changed from bright red to pale white. I'm not sure what is going on. I hope I didn't over feed them and the tank water is cloudy.
Attachments
IMG_7903.jpeg
IMG_7901.jpeg
IMG_7482.jpeg
IMG_7479.jpeg
Last edited by happy on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Post by JDillon »

I wouldn’t use the algae tablet as it probably has a bunch of stuff in it that will produce excess waste. I’d stick to just the spiralina powder. The water should clear up after a bit.