Adding More Friends?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

NewShrimp
Egg
Egg

Adding More Friends?

Post by NewShrimp »

Hi everyone!
I currently have a 1 gallon tank with 2 shrimp I rescued from an ecosphere. They're doing amazing in their new home. Since it's just the 2 of them, I was thinking about whether I should buy more shrimp or add snails, or even both. I do enjoy having just the 2 of them right now since I can distinguish them from each other and I can always look for them to see what they're up to and how they're doing. I know that the tank would be much more exciting with more creatures, and if I were to get more shrimp, I could watch them be more social. The snails also seem like fun to have. However, if I were to buy more shrimp or add snails (or even do both), I won't be able to watch them for a few months since I'm off to college in August, and I can't bring them with me. That brings me to question how much of the algae would be eaten up (it's starting to pop up all over the sides in my tank, and the stomachs of my shrimp have been visibly full for quite some time now) if I added more shrimp or snails. When I first moved my 2 shrimp from the ecosphere, there was no visible algae in their tank so I gave them a bit of a pellet to eat. Now, since there's a lot of algae popping up and their stomachs are visibly full from the algae, I don't plan on feeding them at all in the coming months. If the algae gets devoured with more additions, then I'd have to get food added for them and worry about my parents overfeeding them. Furthermore, I won't be able to upgrade the tank to a 3 gallon or 5 gallon until I move out on my own, so they'll be in the 1 gallon tank for some time, and I don't want it to become super populated to the point where they'll need an upgrade sometime before I move out. If I were to get more shrimp or add snails, I'd buy them from this website, and the minimum amount of both shrimp and snails to purchase is 10. What do you guys think? Should I add some more shrimp friends for them, get some snails, or go wild and do both? Should I wait until I move out and upgrade their tank? Will 10 more shrimp and 10 more snails become too much?
Thanks a bunch! :)
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Re: Adding More Friends?

Post by JDillon »

I have a one gallon glass tank with 19 shrimps and it honestly could hold about 50 without being too crowded. My biggest concern since you will be gone is water evaporation. So get those guys some friends! The more you have the more fun it is to watch them.
NewShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by NewShrimp »

JDillon wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 am I have a one gallon glass tank with 19 shrimps and it honestly could hold about 50 without being too crowded. My biggest concern since you will be gone is water evaporation. So get those guys some friends! The more you have the more fun it is to watch them.
Ok, great! I will definitely get them more friends! I trust that my parents will refill the tank with distilled water as it evaporates, and I plan on frequently reminding them about it. I just don't trust my parents with feeding them. Thanks a bunch for your reply! :)
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

I have a 1.5 gallon tank with about 30 shrimp (started with 10 but they've multiplied) and 10 snails. I feed them Ocean Nutrition Shrimp Wafers. Only 1 wafer around every 2 months. It comes with a small spoon that makes it easy to scoop out and feed a single wafer. It's a no brainer and I'm sure your parents could feed them when you tell them to. You can buy these shrimp wafers on Amazon for $6.99. Also, my shrimp love them. They go nuts when I feed them.
fullsizeoutput_b93.jpeg
sabbylina
Larva
Larva

Post by sabbylina »

10 snails might be a bit much depending on the kind. but ten shrimps, go for it!