Tiny white creature in tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sfinster

Tiny white creature in tank

Post by sfinster »

I recently ordered some more shrimp from Mustafa, and almost immediately I had 4 berried shrimp. I also have a 5x magnifying glass, and I enjoy looking at the newly hatched shrimp up close. This morning I noticed one of them was no longer floating - it was sitting on the side of the tank. I put my magnifier up, and noticed a tiny white dot above the baby shrimp. Then I saw that the dot was moving, and suddenly it "jumped" and crashed into the shrimp. It is too small for me to get a picture. This is a recently cycled, lidded tank (with vents). Any idea what it could be?
sfinster

Re: Tiny white creature in tank

Post by sfinster »

I was hoping someone would have an idea. The next time I saw this creature I smashed it against the side of the tank.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Probably some kind of Copepod but hard to know. Was there only one?
robokirk
Egg
Egg

Post by robokirk »

I just turned on my light today and there was a ton of tiny white things swimming about. I have never seen them before in my tank. Attached is the best picture I could get. Is this the same thing you saw?
Attachments
IMG_20200724_071553.jpg
sfinster

Post by sfinster »

That looks like it. They're so tiny it's hard to tell. I haven't seen any moving as vigorously as the one that attacked the tiny shrimplet. I need to get a better magnifier, too.

If they aren't a problem, I won't worry about it.
robokirk
Egg
Egg

Post by robokirk »

I am sure others can chime in, but everything i am reading more or less says they are fine, a sign of good water.
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Post by JDillon »

Do they attack the baby shrimp? And if they do is there anyway to get rid of them?
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

It might be daphnia. I had them. They swim in a jerky motion. They're very small, less than .5 mm. If you look close with a strong magnifier, you might be able to see two deer-antler-like claws. I ignored them and they died off, or the shrimp ate them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphnia_pulex

It's nothing to worry about. Your shrimp will outlive anything that small.