thorough cleaning or new tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

casingram
Egg
Egg

thorough cleaning or new tank

Post by casingram »

Hi everyone. I have a approximately 1 gallon vase that’s had 12 opae ula for about a year now. The vase is unsightly. There is a lot of hair algae and the water has quite a bit of a green tint. I put in 3 MTS when I added the shrimp and now there is probably 100 or more. I think one of the problems was that I used dirty sand that was taken out of a freshwater aquarium which it had been in for 10 years (and had been sitting in a container for about a month after I took the aquarium down). I would like to either totally clean it, change the sand, and rid the system of snails, or just set up a new vase and transfer the shrimp over. What do you recommend? I know the existing lava rock is full of beneficial bacteria which I don’t want to lose, but then again I don’t want to risk reintroducing the MTS if I stick with the same rock.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: thorough cleaning or new tank

Post by Vorteil »

Why mess it it? It's doing great. If they are breeding in there leave it be. Why not just start up a new one?
casingram
Egg
Egg

Post by casingram »

It looks really dirty and gross. It’s at my office and it’s became an eyesore. No, I haven’t had any breeding. I have had 2 females carry eggs, but they were dropped on both occasions.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I thought you started with 12 and now have 100. I reread your post and saw that you added the additional shrimp. Yeah for sure I would clean it all out if it's an eyesore. I'm about to add a tank to my new office. I have a 2.5 gallon ready to go but now I'm think maybe a 5 or 10 gallon.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Unless you really like that particular vase, I would cycle a new tank with all new stuff to avoid transferring hair algae. It will be fun! Your shrimp can live in their unsightly home until the new tank is ready.
casingram
Egg
Egg

Post by casingram »

Yeah, that may be a good idea. I really don’t want to introduce the snails either.