Time to move tanks

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

cmumma
Egg
Egg

Time to move tanks

Post by cmumma »

Hi, All. I usually just periodically lurk on this forum, but I figured a new tank is worth posting about :D

I put together these two half gallon jars about four years ago. One for the office and one for home. I started working from home a couple of years ago and kept them both next to each other. We just moved into a bigger house, so I decided to give the shrimp a bigger house too. The half gallon jars worked great. They each started out with ten shrimp and then one lost six because I got some bad info on cholla wood. DO NOT USE CHOLLA WOOD!
Anyway, now they have about thirty in one jar and twenty in the other. At one point I was throwing them a couple of fish food flakes every couple of months, but I haven't done that in a long time. Other than that, all I've had to do is top them off with water and remove some algae growth from time to time.
I transferred a few items from the old jars to kick off the new tank. Everybody got excited and started swimming around. Now it's time to learn patience and wait for this new tank to cycle.
Attachments
PXL_20201229_164858002.jpg
PXL_20201229_164915291.jpg
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Time to move tanks

Post by JennyPenny »

Those jars all look great but I really like the new large jar, and the rock in the middle of it is awesome. Is the distortion from the round glass bothersome to you? I have been thinking of starting a jar or new small tank and am trying to decide if the curved glass would make it hard to view the shrimp.
cmumma
Egg
Egg

Post by cmumma »

JennyPenny wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:06 am Those jars all look great but I really like the new large jar, and the rock in the middle of it is awesome. Is the distortion from the round glass bothersome to you? I have been thinking of starting a jar or new small tank and am trying to decide if the curved glass would make it hard to view the shrimp.
So, the glass in the small jars has a neat magnification effect when the shrimp swim around the corners. It's pretty cool, but they are canning jars so it's not the most consistent and there is some distortion looking at things on the far side of the jar. The pet store had a few different tanks on sale. One was a hexagonal shape, which I considered, but then I thought it would be easier to follow them swimming around in the round tank. The rocks look alright, so I'm hoping the shrimp do as well. I'll let you know if it's disappointing when I get everyone moved over. Also, the big one is acrylic which doesn't look quite as nice as glass.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I couldn't tell the larger tank was acrylic, and it looks fine to me. I am definitely interested to see how they look in there.
I decided to just set up another tank using a cube style aquarium that I already have. But I am still considering setting up a jar in the future.