Algae die-off Ammonia spike

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Aran Valente
Egg
Egg

Algae die-off Ammonia spike

Post by Aran Valente »

Hi, I have been cycling my tank since late December of last year, so about three months. I used a GE Plant Light Bulb to grow algae and then stopped using it so the algae died. There were also some dead nats on the surface. The results were Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 0, Ph:8.0, and Ammonia: .25. I bought some of that macroalgae from Mustafa. I know I should wait for the algae to reduce before ordering the shrimp, but is there anything else I should do in the meantime to aid in ammonia reduction? I heard about prodibio biodigest, but I wasn't sure if it was better in the long run to just wait it out.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Algae die-off Ammonia spike

Post by Mustafa »

I think I answered this question in an email to you, but for completeness' sake (and for posterity), I'll do it here too. I would just wait. I don't recommend using any bacteria products made for aquaria. They have the potential of causing more harm than good by introducing more biomass in the form of bacteria into the tank.