Set Up Review Before Cycling

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

AtrophicSPIN
Egg
Egg

Set Up Review Before Cycling

Post by AtrophicSPIN »

I have a few questions about my tank set up before I add water and let it cycle.
This is an almost 4 gallon cylindrical glass vase. It's 8 inches wide and 15 inches tall. It sits on a wood base with a full spectrum LED light that shines down into the center of the tank that will be on an 8 hr a day timer. I plan to keep the water about 2.5 to 3 inches below the rim.

The cholla wood and fake moss rocks are already removed, so please disregard.

I just have a few questions...

There is about 2-3 inches of substrate. Is that okay?

If I get the snails on this site will they crawl out?

When I top off do I use just distilled or the sale water mix?

How much substrate do the snails need to burrow and the shrimp to move around? (I like the decorated look but don't want to hurt the set up)

Do properly planned set ups stay clear when there are moss balls and algae webs purchased from this site? (this will be in my office so I would like it to stay presentable but safe for the shrimp)

Thanks for the critique!
Attachments
PXL_20210212_003828418.jpg
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Set Up Review Before Cycling

Post by attygirl »

Hello - you only need about a half inch to one inch of substrate. Snails will crawl up the sides but I never had any crawl out of my first “vase tank” that did not have a lid and was at my office for seven years pre-COVID. You top off evaporation using distilled water - the salt stays when the water evaporates. The snails will help keep the sides of the tank clear. The macro algae will help with the biological filter and the opae like to hang out in it. I have never purchased the moss ball so not sure what it does but others can chime in ..... hope this helps. :D
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Set Up Review Before Cycling

Post by sliphorn »

You can also top off with reverse osmosis water. My tanks have all remained clear for years. I have the mossball in two of my tanks. I started with one and eventually it grew an appendage that I snipped off and put in another tank and it is growing well, albeit slowly. I like them but they grow very slowly.

I would definitely buy some snails from this site, as they are part of creating the balance that you want for a healthy system. Snails, macro algae, and shrimp and you are good to go. The mossball from this site would be optional, but what the heck, go for it if you like it.

To reduce evaporation on a set up like yours, consider buying a clear plastic saucer that is made for putting under a potted plant. They can be found in the garden section of the big home improvement centers or other big box stores. They are inexpensive and you should easily be able to find a size for your vase that will look like it was made for it. I use them on all of my open top tanks and they work a charm.

I suggest getting the tank set up following the directions from this site using of course, half strength marine sea water mix designed for marine fish or marine reef aquariums. Wait a week or two and then order the macroalgae and snails. A couple weeks later order the shrimp. Some will say to get everything at once but I prefer to wait on the shrimp while the snails and macroalgae are doing their thing to help create a healthy system. You could also increase the time your light is on to ten or twelve hours though eight should be fine. Over time you can experiment with that.

Good luck