Moving?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ieatfish
Egg
Egg

Moving?

Post by ieatfish »

I have a well established 1 gallon tank that has been going strong for about 3 years. We are moving about 6 hours away. What is the best way to get it transferred to a new location? It is not sealed on top so I'm not sure if I remove the rocks and take it along, I think I'll need to remove at least some of the water. I could cover it with plastic wrap or similar and rubber band it possibly.

Anyone done this before?

sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Moving?

Post by sliphorn »

Lighten the load. Remove the large rock and some of the water. Save the water and put it all back together when you get to your new location.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

We moved 12 hours away. I just put the tank in a small box and packed it tight all the way around with paper, etc., so it wouldn't tip over and put in on the floor in the backseat (so I could keep an eye on it). Just take a bit of the water out, cover it really well and it should be fine. If it's only 6 hours and you have the endurance, you could just hold it in your lap... I did that for a 3 hour drive once.
ieatfish
Egg
Egg

Post by ieatfish »

I was able to move with no issues. Took out the rocks, drained half the water, boxed it up nicely and didn't tip it during transportation. Thanks!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Yay!